Success in one higher education course is a reliable predictor of future success in other courses. If you have any previous higher education study (completed or partial), this may help you get into the course you want. This includes bridging and enabling courses.

You might also be eligible for advanced standing (credit), which could let you finish your course faster.

Find out more about how you can use your previous study to get into QUT.

Getting into your course

For most of our undergraduate courses, entry is based on your past academic achievement, represented by your ATAR or selection rank. Some courses may also have additional entry requirements like an audition, portfolio, interview or written statement.

You may also have selection ranks from VET qualifications, or from Year 12 results or work experience. We’ll generally use your best selection rank when considering your application.

Explore our courses to find out if your selection rank from previous higher education study will get you into the course you want. You can use our published thresholds as a guide, though course thresholds can change from semester to semester. Higher thresholds don't mean a course is more difficult.

Minimum age requirements

To be considered for entry using previous tertiary study you must either:

  • be at least 18-years old
  • have completed Year 12 and be at least 16-years old.

From 2023, if you did higher education study at 17 years old or younger, and you have not obtained an ATAR, you won't be considered for entry until you either:

  • will be at least 19 years old at the first census date of QUT study
  • as an 18-year-old, you’ve achieved one of the following:
    • completed Certificate IV (or higher qualification)
    • studied at least 0.25 year of degree (or higher study)
    • have at least 0.50 year full-time (or equivalent part-time) work experience.

Assumed knowledge and prerequisites

Most of our courses have assumed knowledge, and our Bachelor of Education has prerequisites that you need to meet.

Find out more about assumed knowledge and prerequisites.

Bridging or enabling courses

Bridging and enabling courses can help you meet subject entry requirements, or get the right skills to succeed at university. These courses can also give you a selection rank for entry to our courses.

You must have completed at least one semester of full-time study in one of these programs for it to count towards your selection rank for your QUT application.

If you haven't completed at least 2 semesters of full-time study in one of these programs, you must be either:

  • aged 18 or older when QUT classes start
  • have completed Australian Year 12 (or equivalent) to be considered for our courses.

Tertiary preparation, bridging or foundation programs

Grade Point Average

1 semester full-time

1.5 semesters full-time

2 semesters or more full-time

6.95 - 7.00




6.90 - 6.94




6.85 - 6.89




6.80 - 6.84




6.75 - 6.79




6.70 - 6.74




6.65 - 6.69




6.60 - 6.64




6.55 - 6.59




6.50 - 6.54




6.25 - 6.49




6.00 - 6.24




5.75 - 5.99




5.50 - 5.74




5.25 - 5.49




5.00 - 5.24




4.75 - 4.99




4.50 - 4.74




4.25 - 4.49




4.00 - 4.24




Ungraded passes




3.75 - 3.99




3.50 - 3.74




3.25 - 3.49




3.00 - 3.24




2.75 - 2.99




2.50 - 2.74




2.25 - 2.49




Below 2.25



45 .00

Returning to study and course transfers

Coming back to QUT

If you’re a past QUT student and want to come back and finish your course, you can apply to return to study.

Apply to come back to QUT

Switching courses within QUT

If you're a current QUT undergraduate student (or on a formal leave of absence) and would like to transfer to another QUT degree, you can apply for an internal course transfer. You must have completed 48 credit points in your degree.

Internal transfers only apply to courses that:

  • are part of the QUT offer guarantee
  • do not have any prerequisites or other admission requirements.

You’ll need to apply to QTAC if you want to:

  • change to a course that isn’t open to direct transfer
  • return to QUT to study a different course and you haven’t met the internal transfer criteria.

Find out how to apply to transfer degrees within QUT.

Course transfers from another university

If you’re currently studying, or have previously studied, at a different university, you will need to apply to QTAC.

Postgraduate study and graduate entry

If you want to continue your study in a field related to your undergraduate degree, you may be eligible for entry into a relevant postgraduate course.

If you're interested in moving into a completely different field, there are some courses that accept a range of undergraduate degrees for entry. However, for some fields of study, you might need to start at an undergraduate level. Explore career change courses to find out your options.

You’ll be eligible for many of our graduate certificates and some of our graduate diplomas if you:

  • have completed a sub-degree qualification (or passed at least one year of degree study)
  • have relevant professional work.

Explore our postgraduate study options and make sure you choose the right course for you.

Graduate entry undergraduate courses

You may be eligible for graduate entry into some undergraduate courses if you’ve already completed one of the following:

  • a degree
  • an honours degree
  • a graduate diploma
  • a higher qualification (including equivalent overseas qualifications as assessed by QTAC and QUT.

Graduate entry courses are structured so you can complete your degree faster.

Our graduate entry courses are:

Understanding your study results

Using results from your studies to get into QUT

You may be able to use previous and current studies you’ve achieved to support your application. Convert your results to a selection rank for an indication of what courses you can get into.

Other things to consider

I have done cross-institutional, BULA, exchange or other similar studies

You’ll need to declare these studies separately to your degree studies as part of your admission application.

We’ll combine these studies with your degree as soon as you:

  • declare these studies
  • where applicable provide your academic records for any overseas exchange degree studies with QTAC.

Study tours and internships are not formal studies, and while you can get advanced standing (academic credit) for them, they don’t count towards your selection rank.

You’ll need to immediately notify QTAC once:

  • your delayed results or completion are available
  • your supplementary or deferred results are visible in your enrolment record.

Once you’ve notified QTAC, your application will be reconsidered for the next offer round selection rank requirements, if places are available.

My results are delayed, have changed or I failed to declare all of my studies

You’ll need to immediately notify QTAC once any of your results become officially available, including:

  • delayed results
  • delayed completion
  • supplementary or deferred results
  • change of grades.

Once you've notified QTAC, your application will be reconsidered for the next offer round selection rank requirements, if places are available. Those selection rank requirements for top-up offer rounds can be higher than the threshold.

You must immediately notify QTAC if:

  • you failed to declare all your studies
  • there's a change to your academic status (e.g., you're no longer studying or you've become excluded from your course)
  • there's a change to your student status (e.g., you've stopped studying, or you've been expelled or suspended from university).

Once you've notified QTAC, your application and any offers made will be reconsidered.

I did better at school than in tertiary study

We’ll always use your highest ATAR or selection rank for entry. If you fail your first year of university and reapply for a completely different course, we’ll accept the ATAR or selection rank you received in Year 12.

I've been suspended or excluded from tertiary study

If you're currently suspended from a higher education institution for reasons other than failure, we may refuse admission.

Special rules apply if you’ve been excluded from a study program that’s in a ‘like’ discipline to the QUT course you want to apply for. If it’s been at least one year since your exclusion, we'll consider your application if you meet one of these criteria:

  • you’ve since passed (i.e. GPA 4.00 or better) ‘like’ study (either a completed ‘like’ diploma or one year of full-time ‘like’ degree study)
  • you have five years’ full-time (or equivalent) ‘like’ professional work experience.

If you're concerned about your eligibility to get in because of the 'like' rule, suspension or exclusion, contact us.

The ‘like’ disciplines are:

  • architecture and built environment
  • business, commerce, management, and tourism
  • creative and performing arts, and communication
  • education
  • engineering
  • health and medical science
  • information technology
  • justice
  • law
  • psychology and behavioural science
  • science and mathematics
  • social work, human services, and counselling

If you're concerned about your eligibility to get in because of the 'like' rule, suspension or exclusion, contact us at

More ways to get in

Adjustment schemes

You may be eligible for an adjustment to your selection rank, which can help you get into the course you want. We offer adjustment schemes for students with difficult circumstances and elite athletes.

Explore adjustment schemes

Worried you won’t get in?

If you’re concerned that your selection rank isn’t high enough for the course you want, don’t worry - there are other admissions pathways you can take to get to your dream course.

Helping you get into your course

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students

Our Centralised Assessment Selection Program (CASP) makes it easier for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island students to come to uni, whatever your educational background.

About CASP

Apply now

Ready to apply?

When you’re ready to apply for a course, follow our step-by-step applying guide.

Apply for undergraduate courses

Apply for postgraduate courses

Other admission pathways

We believe that everyone should be able to continue their journey of lifelong learning. So we're committed to exploring all admission pathways to help you get into the course that you want.

Your higher education experience isn't the only way you can get into uni. Take a look at your options if you've done:

  • study at TAFE or other vocational education and training
  • recent secondary school study
  • any workplace experience.

VET study

If you've done any VET study, including study done at TAFE, you may be able to use that to get into uni.

Apply with VET study

Secondary study

If you've completed high school in the last two years, find out if your results can help you get into the course you want.

Apply with recent secondary study

Employment experience

You can also apply to uni based on work experience you've completed. Find out how your work and life experience can help you get in.

Apply with work experience

Contact us

Get in touch if you've got any questions about how to use your previous experience to get into uni.