Studying a research degree doesn’t have to be financially overwhelming. Australian and New Zealand students will have their tuition fees covered by government programs, and there are scholarships available to make your research journey easier.

Tuition fees

Australian and New Zealand students

If you're an Australian citizen or permanent visa holder, or a New Zealand citizen, you won't need to pay tuition fees for your research degree, as long as you complete your degree within:

  • a maximum of 4 years full-time (or equivalent) for doctoral students (PhD and professional doctorate)
  • a maximum 2 years full-time (or equivalent) for research masters students.

Within this period, your fees are automatically covered by the Australian Government Research Training Program (RTP) Fees Offset (Domestic). This program covers tuition fees only, and you must pay any other study-related costs.

If you take longer than the specified time to complete your degree, you may be charged tuition fees for the rest of your study.

I'm transferring after starting my degree at another university

If you're transferring from another university, you can only transfer your Australian Government Research Training Program (RTP) Fees Offset (Domestic) funding entitlement if:

  • your former university supports the transfer and QUT agrees to continue your RTP Fees Offset
  • we receive information from your former university about how much of your RTP Fees Offset you've used, and the dates of your milestones.

Changing universities isn't sufficient grounds to apply for an extension on your RTP Fees Offset.

International students

If you don't receive a scholarship that covers your tuition fees, you must pay your fees directly to QUT before the start of each semester.

You may be able to apply for other scholarships that cover tuition fees for all or part of your course.

To get an idea of how much your course will cost, check the costs in your course information.

We review fees annually.

Other study-related costs and living expenses

Your research degree may take a number of years to complete, so you need to consider your living expenses while you're studying.

When you're close to finishing your research, you may also need to pay for thesis proofreading and editing, printing, and binding.

Centrelink payments

If you're an Australian citizen or permanent visa holder and intend to apply for Centrelink payments while you study, it is important to check your eligibility first, as this will depend on your individual circumstances.

You must declare any scholarship income you receive to Centrelink as it may affect your payments.

Make sure you read Centrelink information for students and trainees.

International students

If you're an international student, you will also need to cover costs related to your:

  • visa
  • travel
  • arrival in Australia
  • health cover
  • accommodation.

You should check your visa for details on how much you can work while you're studying in Australia.

Find more information for international students coming to study at QUT.


A scholarship is a great way to support your living costs while you're completing your research.

There's a variety of scholarships you can apply for throughout the year. Some scholarships can only be applied for only in our scholarship rounds, which are held twice a year.

Find research scholarships

No matter which scholarship you are applying for, you must indicate this within the financial details section of your expression of interest.