Skip to content

Fees, costs and scholarships

Going to uni is one of the most important investments you'll make.

Make sure you understand how your fees and costs work, and find out more about opportunities for scholarships.

Your fees and payment options

We want to make paying your fees as easy as possible.

Find out more information about your course fees, other costs and options for payment to suit your needs.

Understanding your fees

International students

Studying overseas is a great investment in your future.

You will generally pay the full fee for your course. You can find more information about your course fees via your course details.

Find a course

Government support

Government loans

Australian and eligible New Zealand students, as well as permanent humanitarian visa holders, might not have to pay for their course up-front. There are options to defer your course fees with a government loan, including HECS-HELP, FEE-HELP and SA-HELP.


Government aid

International students may be able to apply for financial aid programs offered by governments in Australia and other countries.

Explore aid schemes

Additional course costs

For some courses, there may be extra costs, including:

  • purchasing items like uniforms or safety equipment
  • participating in course-related activities and field trips
  • getting vaccinations
  • applying for a blue card.

These costs are compulsory, and they're not covered by tuition fees.

Check the course information to see if a course has additional costs.

Cost of living

Brisbane is an affordable city, but you still need to plan to make sure you have enough money for your study and living expenses.

If you're moving to Brisbane, during your first few weeks you will need around $2,500 to get set up, including accommodation costs, money to set up your new home, and food and transport. Once you are settled, you should budget around $500 a week for rent, food, transport, bills, study costs and entertainment.

International students

For your student visa, you will also need to meet financial requirements set by the Department of Home Affairs. Find out more about visa eligibility through the Department of Home Affairs website.

Health cover for international students

If you're an international student with an Australian student visa, you must have valid Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) with an approved provider. You need to organise your OSHC before your come to Australia. OSHC gives you access to health care while you're here. If your family is coming to Australia with you, they must also have OSHC cover.

You don't need OSHC if you are:

  • a Norwegian student covered by the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme
  • a Swedish student covered by the National Board of Student Aid or by Kammarkollegiet
  • a Belgian student covered under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement with Australia
  • studying for less than four months on a visitor or tourist visa. You will not be eligible for OSHC and are advised to purchase Overseas Visitors Health Cover or comprehensive travel insurance
  • an Australian government scholarship student (Australia Award students).

The Department of Home Affairs has implemented mandatory visa length cover as a requirement for all student visa applications. This means you must show that you have OSHC for the entire proposed duration of your student visa.

Preferred provider

Our preferred OSHC provider is Medibank. We organise a Medibank Comprehensive OSHC policy for international students. We'll arrange cover for the length of your visa with Medibank Private. You'll need to pay for this cover when you accept your offer.

Medibank's OSHC cover

If you’d rather use a different provider, the website has information about which health funds offer OSHC. You’ll need to provide us with proof of your policy.

I have received an Australia Award Scholarship

If you hold an Australia Award Scholarship, you are entitled to basic OSHC through Medibank Private. We will pay for your OSHC (single person cover) before you arrive. You can contact International Student Services for more information about your cover, including family upgrades.

Financial support

Managing your money while studying can be challenging. Our welfare officers can help you manage your finances and access financial support.

While you're studying, you may be able to access Equity Emergency Bursaries, Equity Work Integrated Learning Bursaries and the Student Financial Assistance Scheme (SFAS) loan to help you meet basic study and living expenses.

We also offer a wide range of scholarships for students from all backgrounds, including equity scholarships, which are specifically for low-income students. Explore the scholarships we offer and apply for any you're eligible for.

If you're an Australian student studying full-time, you may be eligible for Austudy, Youth Allowance or ABSTUDY. Find out more how Centrelink can help you meet your living costs via the Human Services website.

Need more information?

If you've got questions about your fees and study costs, contact our student support centre, HiQ.

Get in touch

Australian and NZ students

3138 2000

Do you have a question about one of our courses? Ask QUT Chatbot now

International students

1800 181 848
(within Australia)

+61 3 9627 4853
(outside Australia)

Enquire online