What loans are available?

You may be eligible for a government loan to help you cover the cost of your tuition fees. Depending on your course, the loan scheme you're eligible for might change. Make sure you check your fees information when you enrol.

Government loans are not available for international students.


HECS-HELP is a loan scheme that can help you pay the fees for most of our undergraduate courses, and postgraduate courses where you're offered a Commonwealth-supported place.


FEE-HELP is a loan scheme that can help you pay for the fees for most of our postgraduate courses, and undergraduate courses where you're studying over the summer period.


An SA-HELP loan can cover the student services and amenities fees. It’s subject to the same conditions as HECS-HELP and FEE-HELP.

You don’t need to have taken out any other kind of HELP loan to be eligible for SA-HELP. If you do have another HELP loan, the SA-HELP amount will be added to your total HELP debt.

Find out more about SA-HELP loans via the StudyAssist website

How does it work?

You can choose to:

  • take out a loan that covers all your fees
  • pay part of your fees and take a loan for the rest
  • not take out a loan and pay all of your fees upfront.

You pay each semester for the units you’re enrolled in.

You don’t have to repay your HECS-HELP, FEE-HELP or SA-SELP loan until your income reaches a certain level. As your income increases, you pay a larger percentage of your income towards your debt. The amount you have to pay is calculated by the Australian Tax Office each year.

Find out more about HELP loans via the StudyAssist website

Am I eligible?

To be eligible, you must have accepted a:

  • Commonwealth supported place (CSP)
  • full-fee tuition place in any university course.

You must also be either an Australian citizen, or hold a permanent humanitarian visa and be living in Australia for the duration of your course.

I’m from New Zealand

If you hold a special category visa, you might be able to apply for a HELP loan if you meet the eligibility requirements. Find out more about HELP loans for New Zealand students via StudyAssist.

Do I have a Commonwealth supported place (CSP)?

All of our undergraduate bachelor degrees offer CSP for domestic students. Some of our postgraduate courses also offer CSP for domestic students. You can check your course’s fees and costs to make sure.

A CSP means that the government pays part of the cost of your course, and you pay the rest (either up-front or deferred via a HECS-HELP loan). The part that you pay is available on your course’s fees and costs information. We call this your ‘student contribution.’

Do I have a full-fee tuition place?

Most of our postgraduate courses are full-fee tuition courses. That means that you pay the full cost of your course (either up-front or deferred via a FEE-HELP loan). You can check your course fees information to make sure.

Am I a domestic student?

Domestic students include:

  • Australian citizens
  • permanent visa holders (including permanent humanitarian visas)
  • New Zealand citizens (including Pasifika peoples who came to Australia as New Zealand citizens).

How do I apply for a loan?

You can apply for HECS-HELP, FEE-HELP or SA-HELP once you’ve been offered a place in your course and accepted.

I’ve had a FEE-HELP loan before

There is a limit to the amount you can borrow under the FEE-HELP scheme. You must make sure that you have enough balance left for your new course. You can check your FEE-HELP balance through myUniAssist.