Students who do not study at one of our exchange partner institutions can come and complete one or two semesters at QUT through our study abroad program.

You will need to pay fees directly to QUT to participate in study abroad, but you will still get academic credit for the subjects you study.

How to apply

Step 1: Entry requirements

You must meet the academic and English language proficiency requirements to apply for our study abroad program.

We don’t accept applications from students who:

  • are under the age of 18
  • have Australian citizenship
  • have Australian permanent residency.

Academic requirements

You must:

  • have completed at least 1 year of full-time study
  • have a minimum GPA (grade point average) of 2.5 on a 4-point scale, or equivalent.

English language proficiency requirements

You must meet our minimum English language requirements. Some units have higher English language requirements than others - we'll work with you to make sure you meet them.

You'll need to provide an English language test result if:

  • English is not your first language
  • you haven't taken a course taught entirely in English.

You must have taken your English language test within the last two years. We accept scores from the following tests.

TestScore required
IELTS (Academic) An overall score of 6.5, and no sub-score less than 6.0
TOEFL (Internet-based) An overall score of 79 (writing 21, reading 16, listening 16, speaking 18)
Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic) An overall score of 58, and no sub-score less than 50
Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) An overall score of 176, and no sub-score less than 169
Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE) Grade of C1

I need help to meet the entry requirements

If you do not meet the entry requirements for our study abroad program, you can study English language programs at our QUT International College (QUTIC).

When you apply for our study abroad program, select the 'English language program' option and we will contact you with details of the process you will need to follow. There are separate costs to study abroad with English.

Step 2: Costs

You need to pay fees directly to QUT.

You can study 3 or 4 units per semester. Check your enrolment requirements with your home institution. If you want to study 5 units per semester, you must have permission from your home university and QUT, as this is an above-standard study load.

Tuition fees cover tuition, administration, student support services and a copy of your academic record. It doesn't include international and domestic travel, accommodation and meals, textbooks, living costs or Overseas Student Health Cover.

Tuition fees

Unit/study load 2020 fee 2021 fee
3 units (36 credit points) A$7,938 A$7,938
4 units (48 credit points) A$10,584 A$10,584
5 units (60 credit points) A$13,230 A$13,230

Health cover

You are required, as a condition of your visa, to maintain valid health insurance for the full length of your visa. This usually means organising Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). OSHC covers medical costs, hospital care costs, some prescription drugs, emergency ambulance service, and your family members and some pregnancy-related costs.

We will tell you how much your OSHC will cost when you receive your offer to study with us.

Students from Belgium, Norway and some students from Sweden who have health cover in their home countries may be exempt from OSHC. Find out more about which types of insurance are recognised for this exemption through the Department of Home Affairs website.

Your OSHC only covers you while you're in Australia, so you'll need to take out extra travel insurance if you'll be travelling overseas during or after your time at QUT.

Living costs

Brisbane is an affordable city, but you still need to plan to make sure you have enough money for your study and living expenses.

During your first few weeks you will need around $2,000 to get set up, including accommodation costs, money to set up your new home, food and transport. After this, you should budget around $500 a week for food, rent, transport, bills, study costs and entertainment.

Living in Brisbane

Study abroad with English

If you don't meet the English language requirements, you can apply for our study abroad with English program.

You may be eligible for a reduction of 25% of the full course tuition fee of your English for Academic Purposes (EAP) program if you are from Colombia and Latin America, Hong Kong, India, Japan, Macau, Mongolia, Sri Lanka, Thailand or Vietnam. Students from these countries may be eligible for QUT International College English Language Concession.

Program 2021 fees
General English 5-week sessions (5-45 weeks)
  • $1,375
    (5 week session)
EAP 1 Extended (15 weeks) + Study Abroad Semester (with Diploma units)
  • $14,688 (3 units)
  • $17,334 (4 units)
EAP 1 Standard (10 weeks) + Study Abroad Semester (with Diploma units)
  • $12,438 (3 units)
  • $15,084 (4 units)
EAP 2 Extended (15 weeks) + Study Abroad Semester (SAS)
  • $14,688 (3 units)
  • $17,334 (4 units)
EAP 2 Standard (10 weeks) + Study Abroad Semester (SAS)
  • $12,438 (4 units)
  • $15,084 (3 units)
Study Abroad Semester (with Diploma units or Communication units
  • $7,938 (3 units)
  • $10,584 (4 units)
Study Abroad Year (with Diploma units or Communication units)
  • $15,876 (6 units)
  • $21,168 (8 units)

Step 3: Submit your application

You can submit your application by:

  • completing the online application yourself via the QUT Global Portal
  • applying through a QUT representative in your home country
  • applying through the international office if you study at one of our study abroad partner institutions.

Attach required documents

Ensure that you attach all the required documents. This includes:

  • a photocopy of your passport, which must be valid for at least six months after your study at QUT finishes
  • certified copies of your most recent official academic transcripts in English. Your home university can stamp and sign these documents to confirm that they are accurate
  • proof of English language proficiency, if required.

Choose your units

At QUT, full-time students usually study four units each semester. Your home university may refer to them as courses, subjects, modules, or something else.

Before you start your application, you should research which units you can study. We have a large number of approved units open to all students.

But if you are interested in more specialised or advanced topics, we also offer many units which require approval. This just means you need significant background knowledge to study the unit. When you apply, we will assess your previous relevant study, so make sure you include details of relevant unit outlines for study you have completed at your home university.

You must nominate at least 6 units in order of preference, in case we are unable approve some of your preferences.

You can explore all available units - filtering by school or discipline can help you find units you are interested in.

Or, if you know which faculty at QUT offers the units you want, you can explore units by faculty.

Applying for study abroad with English

If you're going to study English at QUT before your semester of university study, then, in addition to the above steps, you'll also need to complete the study abroad with English confirmation form (PDF file, 178.4 KB) and upload it to the Global Portal when you submit your application.

When should I apply?

Ideally, you should submit your application for:

  • Semester 1 (February-July) by 2 January each year
  • Semester 2 (July-November) by 1 June each year.

This allows enough time for us to process your application, offer and acceptance. It also allows time for you to finalise your travel arrangements and get your visa.

What happens next?

If you're successful, we will email you an offer letter, which will tell you your next steps.

Step 4: Accept your offer

If your application is successful, we'll send you an offer letter.

Your offer letter will include a tuition amount. This amount is for a full-time study load (4 units per semester) and is subject to your final enrolment.

To accept your offer, you must:

  • check that all your information is correct
  • complete your acceptance of offer form
  • pay any tuition fees and your health cover
  • upload your acceptance form and payment receipt to the QUT Global Portal.

When we receive your acceptance form, we'll send you an electronic confirmation of enrolment (eCoE). Check that all the information on the eCoE is correct. You will need your eCoE to apply for your visa.

Step 5: Apply for your visa

Use your CoE to organise your Australian student visa online, either through your closest overseas Australian embassy or consulate.

It can take up to 8 weeks to be granted your student visa. Make sure you apply with enough time to process your visa application

Working holiday visa

If you plan to study at QUT using a working holiday visa, we require a copy of your approved visa before we can process your acceptance. Not all students are eligible for a working holiday visa, so we recommend you apply for an Australian Student Visa.

Visa assessment

Your application for a visa will be assessed by the Department of Home Affairs. Find more information about visa assessment processes via the Department of Home Affairs website

Step 6: Find accommodation

While you’re studying at QUT for 1 or 2 semesters, you’ll need a place to call home.

QUT accommodation service

We welcome thousands of new international students every year and the QUT accommodation service provides lots of information about places to stay.

The QUT accommodation team can help you find everything you need to know about moving to Brisbane and life in Australia.

Private accommodation providers

We do not offer on-campus residences, but there are plenty of student accommodation complexes near our Gardens Point and Kelvin Grove campuses. Explore options for accommodation and find out more about living in Brisbane.

Semester in Australia

Semester in Australia (SiA) housing is specifically for study abroad and exchange students - they understand that you're only in Australia for a few short months, and you want to make the most of your time here. SiA have more than 25 years of experience supporting international students. With their support, you can live, study and travel with a ready-made peer network of other study abroad students.

SiA provides fully furnished housing with utilities, bills and internet included, so you'll have nothing more to worry about. You will be placed with like-minded study abroad students, and you'll be introduced to them before you arrive.

Get support from the on-site resident director, who will introduce you to the other SiA students, QUT, your local area and life in Brisbane. SiA will help you make the most of your time at QUT with on-going semester activities and travel options.

Real experience

'Semester in Australia was so supportive and accommodating from the application process to my arrival, and while I studied at QUT. SIA provides options to go on various trips throughout the semester. I've participated in a 4-day pre-trip to Sydney before the semester began, where I made tons of friends and already had a friendship group by the time I arrived in Brisbane.'

- Andy (Robert) Lawter, Spring/Semester 1, 2018


Your offer letter includes information about the compulsory international orientation.

Orientation week is the perfect time for you to get to know the QUT campus, experience student life, and make important connections with support staff and your fellow students.

There'll be fun, games, travel experiences and heaps of opportunities to make new friends and get settled in Brisbane.

Find out more about orientation and the orientation schedule once you've accepted your offer.

Want to know more?

Living in Brisbane

Find out more about life in the Sunshine State, including important information about health cover and accommodation.

Life in Brisbane

Student support

While you're studying, you can always access support services to help you with everything from language skills to health services.

We'll support you

Contact us

Contact our Study Abroad and Exchange team if you have any questions about the application process.