Take advantage of QUT’s flexible study options to maximise your semester in Brisbane. We offer over a thousand individual units and several ready-made packages so you can choose what you’d like to study.

All available units

Create your own study plan. Take a look at all the unit options available. Choose from across study areas or focus on one, depending on your interests.

Explore all units

QUT College

The QUT College offers a range of English language and academic units. If you don't meet the English language entry requirements, you can study an English program or a combination of English and academic units.

Study abroad with English

How to choose units

You’ll have to be enrolled full-time while you’re here, which means studying at least three units. As a guide, a 12-credit-point QUT unit is usually equal to:

  • 4 US credits
  • 7.5 ECTS
  • 15 UK credits.

Confirm this with your home institution to be sure.

Most QUT students study four units a semester (48 credit points), which is considered a standard load. Under special circumstances, you may be able to study five units in a semester (60 credit points).

Even though you’ll only study three to five units, you should select six or more for your application to QUT. This is in case your timetable clashes or we are unable approve some of your preferences.

Transdisciplinary study

You can study units across any of our faculties, as long as you meet any necessary prerequisites.

Changing units

You can change units up to the end of the second week of semester. If you want to change units, you must:

  • meet all the requirements for your new unit
  • get approval from your home institution for the change
  • email stae@qut.edu.au to request a change.

Prior study

Units are classed as either ‘Approved’ or ‘Require approval'. You do not need to have completed prior study for approved units.

Units that require approval usually have prerequisite study. This means you must demonstrate that you have the required knowledge to take the unit based on your previous studies. To show that you have the required knowledge, you should submit your home university transcript and detailed unit outlines (in English) of the units you have completed, or are completing, at your home institution.

Some units have corequisites, which means that there is another unit you need to study at the same time. If you want to study a unit with a corequisite, you must also apply to study the related unit.

Earning credit for your study

To earn credit towards your home degree, you must make sure that your proposed units are approved by your own university. Approved study will let you transfer your academic credit to your degree at your home university.

Units about Australia

What better place to learn about Australia than during your semester in Brisbane? If you have a space for an elective, consider the following approved and uniquely Australian undergraduate-level units:

Contact us

Please contact us if you have questions about choosing your units.