Hosting an international student in your home is a great opportunity to help students who are new to Australia, learn about another culture, and build lasting cross-cultural friendships.
Your homestay student will live with you, as part of your family. Often our international students remember their homestay as the best part of their experience in Brisbane.
What's expected of me?
As a homestay provider, you'll be expected to provide a safe, inclusive environment for the student that you're hosting. This includes:
- treating the student as part of the family
- providing a private, clean and warm bedroom, food, and laundry facilities
- offering help, guidance, support and encouragement with language practice and studies
- being responsive to different cultural and religious practices and beliefs.
Students will stay in their homestay for a minimum of 4 weeks, but we recommend that students stay for 3 to 6 months.
Why host an international student?
In return for your hospitality, you'll be paid a weekly amount for hosting a student. Students can choose between 2 options for homestay:
- 2 meals a day (breakfast and dinner) Monday-Friday, and 3 meals a day on weekends, which costs $220 each week
- 3 meals a day (breakfast, lunch and dinner) Monday-Friday, which costs $240 each week.
If the students need Halal food, they will pay an extra $20 each week. If the student staying with you is under 18, you must provide them with all 3 meals each day. The weekly cost of homestay for a student who's under 18 is $250.The fees of homestay pay for:
- bed and facilities
- electricity and gas bills.
You should come to an agreement with your host student about phone and internet bills.
Apply to be a homestay provider
If you're interested in hosting an international student in your home, contact our homestay enquiries office.
Enquire about our homestay program.
- Email: email@example.com