If you don't meet these entry requirements it is best that you don't submit an application - your priority should be achieving the best results you can in your school studies.
You must be:
- minimum age of 16 when START QUT classes commence
- either a Year 11, Semester 2 or a Year 12, Semester 1 student when you participate in the START QUT program
- a Queensland or northern New South Wales-based school senior student (Northern New South Wales is defined as per the Rural North designated intake area on the Department of Education New South Wales website).
- one of the following:
- currently studying or completed a minimum of five ATAR general subjects (including General English) with suitable grades
- on an International Baccalaureate Diploma (IBD) pathway with suitable grades
- an extrasystemic student (e.g Home Schooling, ACE, NZ Steiner Certificate of Education) with a suitable SAT result.
From 2023, we will be offering the program to Year 12 students in Semester 1 only and Year 11 students in Semester 2 only.
In the semester before you apply, you must have maintained both of the following:
- a minimum of a B (70%) in any General English subject such as English, Literature, English and Literature, or English as an additional language (or equivalent IBD subjects)
- a B (70%) average across a minimum of five ATAR general or IBD higher or standard level subjects.
Median grade is not used.
A B average is, for example:
- one A, three B and one C
- one A and four B
- two B+, one B and two B-
The following grade combinations examples are below a B average:
- three B and two C
- one A, two B and two C
- four B and one B-
Extrasystemic students must have achieved minimum SAT score of 1300.
Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander students
Admission assistance via the QUT Oodgeroo Unit’s Centralised Assessment and Selection Program (CASP) is available. Please speak to your school’s Guidance/Career Officer, Curriculum Head, Dean of Studies, Academic Dean, Gifted Students Coordinator, Principal, Deputy Principal, or other similar position for further information.
Attendance and support
- be capable of undertaking university level study on top of your high school workload
- have the support of your parents or guardians
- have permission from your school to participate. A staff member (guidance officer, career counsellor, curriculum head, dean of studies, academic dean, gifted students coordinator, principal, deputy principal or other similar position) must approve your participation
- be able to attend classes at the designated QUT campus, either at Kelvin Grove or Gardens Point (excluding online students).
To remain in the START QUT program you must:
- remain enrolled in the same senior pathway as you applied under
- have ongoing support from your parents or guardians
- have ongoing permission from your school to participate.
If you change schools, you must provide a school approval proforma from your new school.
If you change senior studies, you must provide a new school approval proforma along with your current results.
To undertake a second START QUT unit you must also have passed your first unit of study.
We will revoke your enrolment in START QUT if you don't meet any of the above requirements.