Tuition fees

Australian and New Zealand students

If you're an Australian citizen or permanent visa holder, or a New Zealand citizen, you won't need to pay tuition fees for your research degree, as long as you complete your degree within:

  • 4 years full-time (or equivalent) for doctoral students (PhD and professional doctorate)
  • 2 years full-time (or equivalent) for research masters students.

Within this period, your fees are automatically covered by the Australian Government Research Training Program (RTP) Fees Offset (Domestic). This program covers tuition fees only, and you must pay any other study-related costs.

If you take longer than the specified time to complete your degree, you may be charged tuition fees for the rest of your study.

I'm transferring after starting my degree at another university

If you're transferring from another university, you can only transfer your Australian Government Research Training Program (RTP) Fees Offset (Domestic) funding entitlement if:

  • your former university supports the transfer and QUT agrees to continue your RTP Fees Offset
  • we receive information from your former university about how much of your RTP Fees Offset you've used, and the dates of your milestones.

Changing universities isn't sufficient grounds to apply for an extension on your RTP Fees Offset.

International students

If you don't receive a scholarship that covers your tuition fees, you must pay your fees directly to QUT before the start of each semester.

You may also be eligible for an Australian Government Research Training Program (RTP) Fees Offset (only if you are receiving the Australian Government Research Training Program (RTP) Stipend (International)).

Read the Australian Government Research Training Program (RTP) Fees Offset (International) rules (PDF file, 262.3 KB).

Check your tuition fees

You may be able to apply for other scholarships that cover tuition fees for all or part of your course.

To get an idea of how much your course will cost, check the costs and scholarships in your course information.

We review fees annually.

Find scholarships for international research students

Other study-related costs and living expenses

You may also need to pay for thesis proofreading and editing, printing, and binding.

If you’re an international student, you will also need to cover costs related to your:

  • visa
  • travel
  • arrival in Australia
  • health cover
  • accommodation.

You should check your visa for details on how much you can work while you're studying in Australia.

Find more information for international students coming to study at QUT.

Centrelink payments

If you're an Australian citizen or permanent visa holder and intend to apply for Centrelink payments while you study, it is important to check your eligibility first, as this will depend on your individual circumstances.

You must declare any scholarship income you receive to Centrelink as it may affect your payments.

Make sure you read Centrelink information for students and trainees.


Who can apply for scholarships?

We offer a range of scholarships for students from a variety of backgrounds or with research interests in particular fields.

When to apply for scholarships

Most of our scholarships are offered as part of our annual scholarship round. The 2021 annual scholarship round is now closed. However, we do offer other scholarships throughout the year. Check the details of the scholarships you're interested in for application dates.

How to apply for scholarships

You must register your interest for a scholarship when you apply for your course.

I'm currently studying and don't have my final grades yet

If you're currently completing studies and the outcomes are relevant to your application (such as an honours or masters degree), you should submit an interim transcript of your grades.

If your interim grades are high enough, we may make you a conditional scholarship offer, which will be confirmed if your results meet the requirements.

Accessing scholarship allowances

You can claim allowances for study costs up to 2 years after you complete your research degree. Check your scholarship's rules to determine if you're eligible for allowances.

To claim any allowances, complete the supplier maintenance form (DOCX file, 117.8 KB) and submit it, along with your scanned receipts, to