Applications for the 2020 ASR are now closed.
What can scholarships be used for?
You do the research, and we'll pay the bills. Our research scholarships provide funding to help you with general living costs while you focus on your research studies.
We also have top-up scholarships to supplement living costs and sponsorships to cover tuition fees.
Some of our research scholarships also have associated allowances for relocation and thesis expenses.
Applications for 2021
Applications for our annual round are now open for students starting in 2021.
Students can apply for a research degree and scholarship any time between now and 30 September 2020.
Which scholarships can I apply for?
Annual round scholarships
- Australian Government Research Training Program (RTP) Stipend (Domestic)
- For domestic masters, PhD and doctoral students.
- Australian Government Research Training Program (RTP) Stipend (International)
- For international masters, PhD and doctoral students.
- QUT Postgraduate Research Awards (QUTPRA) (Domestic)
- For domestic PhD and doctoral students. Not available for masters students.
- QUT Postgraduate Research Awards (QUTPRA) (International)
- For international PhD and doctoral students. Not available for masters students.
- Indigenous Postgraduate Research Award (IPRA)
- For a student of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent.
- QUT Women's Re-entry Scholarship (WRE)
- Pays a living allowance to a female student who can demonstrate a significant interruption to her academic career.
- QUT Master of Philosophy Development Scholarships
- For future international postgraduate research students.
Education PhD scholarships
- Relationships and Sexuality Education in Queensland Schools
- Rhythm and Movement for Self-Regulation in Early childhood
Creative Industries PhD scholarships
- ARM Hub: Augmented and Mixed Reality for Architectural Design, Assembly and Construction
- Indigenous Creative Practices and Biotechnology
- ARM Hub: Intention visualisation and notification in Human-Robot Collaboration
- PhD Scholarship in Digital Platform Regulation
- QUT Brisbane Consortium for Visual Arts PhD Scholarship
Health PhD scholarships
We offer a range of other research scholarships that you can apply for throughout the year and outside of the annual round.
When can I apply?
To be considered for a scholarship as part of our annual round, you must apply for a research course before 30 September.
We award scholarships in early mid-November, with funding starting the next calendar year.
Am I eligible to apply?
You must have achieved a specific minimum level of academic excellence to be eligible to apply for each scholarship. Some scholarships also have other eligibility criteria that you must meet to be able to apply.
See each scholarship’s details to find out if you're eligible to apply.
English language proficiency
Depending on your previous experience and qualifications, you may need to meet English language requirements. You can find your English language requirements in your course information.
We accept test results from:
- IELTS (Academic)
- TOEFL iBT (Internet-based)
- Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic)
- Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE)
- Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE)
|Pearson PTE (Academic)||58||50||50||50||50|
|Cambridge English Advanced (CAE)||176||169||169||169||169|
|Cambridge English Proficiency (CPE)||C1||-||-||-||-|
You must take your test no more than 2 years before the start of your course.
QUT IELTS Test Centre
If you are in Australia, you can complete the IELTS proficiency exam at our IELTS test centre.
If you are registering for a TOEFL test, you can organise to send your results directly to us. Our TOEFL institution code is 9778.
I want to defer my start date
If you've already applied for admission and want to defer your start date, you can still be considered during the annual round. You must provide a formal expression of interest, including any supporting documentation, by 30 September. Email your expression of interest to email@example.com
How do I apply?
When you apply to study a research degree, you’ll need to register your interest for a scholarship by completing the 'Scholarship application' section of the application form.
If you've already applied to study a research degree with us and want to be considered in the annual scholarship round, register your interest by contacting the Graduate Research Centre.
Already a QUT research student?
If you're currently enrolled in a research masters, PhD or professional doctorate at QUT, you must apply online through HiQ between 1 September and 11.59pm on 30 September in any year.
You'll need to include an up-to-date curriculum vitae (CV) outlining your research achievements.
If you're applying for a QUT Women's Re-entry Scholarship (WRE), you'll need to attach a supporting statement explaining how you meet the scholarship's eligibility criteria.