The closing date has passed to initiate a 2021 application for the 2021 annual scholarship round.
You can still submit an expression of interest for a research degree at QUT, however your application will be considered for admission only.
What can scholarships be used for?
You do the research, and we'll pay the bills. Our research scholarships provide funding to help you with general living costs while you focus on your research studies.
We also have top-up scholarships to supplement living costs and sponsorships to cover tuition fees.
Some of our research scholarships also have associated allowances for relocation and thesis expenses.
Which scholarships can I apply for?
- Australian Government Research Training Program (RTP) Stipend (Domestic)
- For domestic masters, PhD and doctoral students.
- Australian Government Research Training Program (RTP) Stipend (International)
- For international masters, PhD and doctoral students.
- QUT Postgraduate Research Awards (QUTPRA) (Domestic)
- For domestic PhD and doctoral students. Not available for masters students.
- QUT Postgraduate Research Awards (QUTPRA) (International)
- For international PhD and doctoral students. Not available for masters students.
- Indigenous Postgraduate Research Award (IPRA)
- For a student of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent.
- QUT Master of Philosophy Development Scholarships
- For future international postgraduate research students.
We offer a range of other research scholarships that you can apply for throughout the year and outside of the annual round.
QUT’s 2021 annual scholarship round and COVID-19
As part of QUT’s assessment of applications for the 2021 annual scholarship round, we will be taking into account the feasibility of the research proposal, including the potential impact of COVID-19 on the research project, as well as the likelihood of applicants being able to be in Brisbane and able to commence their project in early 2021.
As a result we encourage all applicants and their supervisors to ensure that their project is able to be completed in a COVID-19 environment, and to carefully consider the likelihood of the applicant being able to arrive in Australia and commence their project in early 2021 given Australia’s current border restrictions.
Am I eligible to apply?
You must have achieved a specific minimum level of academic excellence to be eligible to apply for each scholarship. Some scholarships also have other eligibility criteria that you must meet to be able to apply.
See each scholarship’s details to find out if you're eligible to apply.
English language proficiency
Depending on your previous experience and qualifications, you may need to meet English language requirements. To be eligible for consideration in the 2021 annual scholarship round, by now you must have submitted an expression of interest plus you must have met these language requirements, and submitted your evidence of this by 11:59pm AEST on 30 October 2020.
You can find your English language requirements in your course information. Details about tests we accept are on our How to apply website.
The closing date has passed to submit an application for the 2021 annual scholarship round.
For those who have applied in the annual scholarship round, you will receive your outcome between mid-December 2020 and February 2021 with funding starting in 2021.
Already a QUT research student?
If you're currently enrolled in a research masters, PhD or professional doctorate at QUT, we sent an email to your HDR student email address in late August. You'll need to confirm by 11:59pm AEST on 20 September 2020 that you want to be considered in the annual scholarship round.