This person does not currently hold a position at QUT.
BiographyAssociate Professor Mark Taylor teaches and researches in the Interior Design program at Queensland University of Technology. Previously he held teaching positions in the School of Architecture at Victoria University Wellington, NZ as Head of Interior Design, and at Manchester Metropolitan University where he coordinated the MA Interior Design. His research is widely published in journals and books and he has taught history and theory courses alongside design studios that utilise digital and analogue techniques and processes.
Design work has been published in, British Architecture, The Architects’ Journal, Designers Journal, World Architecture, Building Design and The RIBA Journal. His work has been exhibited at The Royal Institute of British Architects and The Royal Academy of Arts where in 1986 he received a Bovis/Architects’ Journal Award for Architecture, for work exhibited in the Royal Academy Summer Exhibition, London. Recently Mark had work exhibited at Melbourne Museum as part of the “Homo Faber: Modelling Ideas” exhibition (2007), and the 2008 Venice Architecture Biennale, Australian Pavilion – Abundant, Venice.
Mark is a member of an ALTC (Australian Learning and Teaching Council) Priority Grant, with Michael J. Ostwald, Tony Williams and others for, Assessing Creativity: Strategies and Tools to support Teaching and Learning in Architecture and Design (2009-2011), and he recently secured an ARC Discovery Grant, with Margot Brereton, Laurie Buys and Paul Roe for, Cooperation and reciprocity at the local scale enabled by social and mobile technologies: an empirically derived theoretical framework (2011-2013).
Mark is a director of Interior Design/Interior Architecture Educators Association (IDEA) and is editorial board member for Architectural Design Research, and Interiors: Design, Architecture, Culture. He was recently awarded a two-year appointment as External Examiner Interior Design, UiTM, Malaysia. Mark regularly reviews manuscripts for international publishers and is co-author Moments of Resistance (Archadia, 2002), editor Surface Consciousness (John Wiley, 2003), co-editor (with Julieanna Preston) Intimus: Interior Design Theory Reader (John Wiley, 2006), and is editor for Interior Design & Architecture: Critical & Primary Sources, 4 vols. (Berg Publishers, 2012). He has book chapters in Diagrams of Architecture (John Wiley 2010), Performance Fashion and the Modern Interior (Berg Publishers 2011) and The Handbook of Interior Design (Berg Publishers 2012).
Currently completing his PhD at University of Queensland, Mark recently co-convened (with Gini Lee) an international symposium entitled Interior Spaces in Other Places (2010) and is co-convening Flow: A Conference in Two Parts (Kingston, London 2011) and (Brisbane, Australia 2012) with Gini lee, Penny Sparke and Pat Brown.
Field of Research code, Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC), 2008
- BA (Hons) Architecture (University of Portsmouth)
- Diploma in Architecture (University of Portsmouth)
- Downey G, Taylor M, (2010) Curtains and carnality: processural seductions in eighteenth century text and space, Proceedings of the 27th International SAHANZ Conference p121
- Taylor M, (2010) Diagramming the interior. In M Garcia, The Diagrams of Architecture, John Wiley & Sons p134
- Taylor M, (2009) Relentless patterns the immersive interior, Architectural Design, 79 (6) p42
- Taylor M, (2007) On Walden Pond: Thoreau's House as Architectural Model. In AMina&MBurry&MOstwald&PDownton, Homo Faber: Modelling Architecture, Archadia Press p36
- Taylor M, (2007) Hertzian Space: Material Response to Spatial Presence, Architectural Design, 77 (5) p149
- Taylor M, Preston J, Charleson A, (2002) Moments of Resistance, Archadia Press
- Taylor M, Preston J, (2006) Intimus: Interior Design Theory Reader, John Wiley
- Taylor M, (2006) 'Furniture is a kind of dress' : interiors as projection of self, Contested Terrains: Proceedings of the 23rd Annual Conference of the Society of Architectural Historians p530
- Taylor M, (2003) Surface talk, Architectural Design, 73 (2) p30
- Taylor M, Preston J, (2005) Interior bowers: The dormant wilderness of nineteenth-century boudoirs, IDEA Journal, 2005 () p75
- Advisor/Consultant for Industry
- Reference year
- Berg Journals. International Advisory Board for Interiors: Design Architecture Culture, Journal. Appointment ongoing.
- Committee Role/Editor or Chair of an Academic Conference
- Reference year
- Conference Chair/Convenor:
Interior Design/Interior Architects Educators Association (IDEA) Symposium.
'Interior Spaces in Other Places', Brisbane, 3-5 February 2010
- Keynote Speaker/Expert Panel Member/Invited Speaker for a Conference
- Reference year
- 43rd Australian and New Zealand Architectural Science Association (ANZAScA)Conference, University of Tasmania, Launceston, Australia, 25th-27th Niovember 2009.
Paper Title: Erotic Interiors: design and desire beyond building
- Cooperation and Reciprocity at the Local Scale Enabled by Social and Mobile Technologies: An Empirically Derived Theoretical Framework
- Primary fund type
- CAT 1 - Australian Competitive Grant
- Project ID
- Start year
- Human-Computer Interaction Participatory Design Community Informatics