Dr Ian Williamson
This person does not currently hold a position at QUT.
BiographyResearch theme: Environment
Research discipline: Biogeoscience
- Distribution of anurans in relation to terrestrial habitats: While availability of aquatic habitats is important for anurans, there needs to be a much stronger focus on understanding terrestrial habitat requirements for many anuran species. This project is examining associations between terrestrial habitat attributes and the distribution of anurans in areas of south-east Queensland.
- Habitat utilisation in animals: Animals tend to favour a habitat with a particular set of features, and identifying these features and the reasons why they are favoured is an important component of applied ecology. Projects are under way that are examining reasons for habitat choice in a range of animal species including crustaceans, fish, lizards and birds.
Areas of expertise
- Population Ecology
- Anuran Ecology
Selected research projects
- Distribution of anurans in relation to terrestrial habitats
- Habitat utilisation in animals
- Ecology of rare species of native olive
Ecology of anurans (frogs)
Field of Research code, Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC), 2008
- PhD (Flinders University of SA)
- BSc(Hons) (Griffith University)
Professional memberships and associations
- Ecological Society of Australia
- Society for the Study of Amphibians and Reptiles (USA)
- Chambers J, Wilson J, Williamson I, (2006) Soil pH Influences Embryonic Survival in Pseudophryne Bibronii (Anura: Myobatrachidae)., Austral Ecology, 31 (1), pp. 68-75.
- Meager J, Williamson I, King C, (2005) Factors Affecting the Distribution, Abundance and Diversity of Fishes of Small, Soft-Substrata Tidal Pools within Moreton Bay, Australia, Hydrobiologia, 537 (1 - 3), pp. 71-80.
- Meager J, Williamson I, Loneragan N, Vance D, (2005) Habitat Selection of Juvenile Banana Prawns, Penaeus Merguiensis de Man: Testing the roles of Habitat Structure, Predators, Light Phase and Prawn Size, Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology, 324 (2), pp. 89-98.
- Dimmock A, Williamson I, Mather P, (2004) The Influence of Environment on the Morphology of Macrobrachium Australiense (Decapoda: Palaemonidae), Aquaculture International, 12, pp. 435-456.
- Rahman A, Krautz C, Iftikharuddin F, Brown R, Williamson I, Marshall R, (2003) A Study on Natural Channel as a Component of Water Sensitive Urban Design, University of Western Sydney.
- Meager J, Vance D, Loneragan N, Williamson I, (2003) Seasonal Variation and Environmental Influences on Juvenile Banana Prawn (Penaeus Merguiensis) Abundance in a Subtropical Estuary (Logan River) of Eastern Australia, Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, 57 (4), pp. 569-576.
- Howard R, Williamson I, Mather P, (2003) Structural Aspects of Microhabitat Selection by the Skink Lampropholis delicata, Journal of Herpetology, 37 (3), pp. 613-617.
- Williamson I, Loneragan N, Meager J, Vance D, (2003) Microhabitat Distribution of Juvenile Penaeus Merguiensis de Man and Other Epibenthic Crustaceans Within a Mangrove Forest in Subtropical Australia, Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology, 294, pp. 127-144.
- Dunlop K, Williamson I, Rahman A, Rahimullah M, Brown R, (2002) Ecologically Sustainable Hydraulically Efficient Low-Cost Natural Channels as a Component of Water Sensitive Urban Design, Proceedings of the 4th Queensland Environmental Conference, pp. 123.
- Williamson I, Bull C, (1999) Population Ecology of the Australian Frog Crinia signifera: Larvae, Wildlife Research, pp. 81-99.
Completed supervisions (Doctorate)
- Terrestrial Habitat Requirements of a Suite of Anuran Species Inhabiting a Semi-Arid Region of South-East Queensland (2008)
- Mapping and Modelling the Invasion Dynamics of Senna obtusifolia at Different Levels of Scale in Australia (2007)
- The Influence of Sea Level Changes on Historical and Modern Population Genetic Structure of Three Northern Australian Freshwater Fish Species with Different Dispersal Characteristics (2006)
- Ecology and Bioenergetics of the Gudgeon (Hypseleotris spp.) in Maroon Dam: a Zooplanktivorous Fish in a Whole-Lake Biomanipulation (2005)
- Variation in Wild Stocks of the Freshwater Prawn (Macrobrachium Australiense): Environmental Influence on External Morphology (2004)
- The Microhabitat Distribution of Juvenile Banana Prawns, Penaeus merguiensis de Man and Processes Affecting their Distribution and Abundance (2003)