Professor Duncan Campbell
This person does not currently hold a position at QUT.
BiographyProfessor Duncan Campbell is the Director of QUT's Australian Research Centre for Aerospace Automation (ARCAA) in the Robotics and Autonomous Systems Discipline with the School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. He has 25 years of research leadership in control and automation. Duncan serves as Treasurer on the Board of the Australian Association for Unmanned Systems (AAUS) and was the IEEE Queensland Section Chapter Chair of the Control Systems/Robotics and Automation Society Joint Chapter (2008/2009). He is the Chair of CDIO Australian and New Zealand regional group of the global CDIO collaboration in engineering education, and was President of the Australasian Association for Engineering Education in 2011. Duncan was the leader for the recently completed Project ResQu, a two year, $7M collaborative research partnership between QUT, CSIRO, Boeing Research & Technology Australia, Insitu Pacific Ltd and the Queensland State Government. Project ResQu fast-tracked research focusing on the enabling technologies and the regulatory environment toward the routine operation of unmanned aircraft.
Unmanned aircraft systems, Aerial robotics, Autonomous Systems, Intelligent Systems, Engineering Education.
Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Artificial Intelligence and Image Processing
Field of Research code, Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC), 2008
- PhD (La Trobe University)
Professional memberships and associations
- Control systems
- Industrial process control
- Electrical engineering
- Engineering design
- Wu P, Campbell D, Merz T, (2011) Multiobjective four-dimensional vehicle motion planning in large dynamic environments, IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Part B: Cybernetics, 41 (3), pp. 621-634.
- Ingram D, Schaub P, Campbell D, (2012) Use of precision time protocol to synchronize sampled-value process buses, IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, 61 (5), pp. 1173-1180.
- Fitzgerald D, Walker R, Campbell D, (2005) A Vision based Forced Landing Site Selection System for an Autonomous UAV, International Conference on Intelligent sensors, sensor networks & information Processing, ISSNIP 2005, pp. 1-6.
- Ingram D, Steinhauser F, Marinescu C, Taylor R, Schaub P, Campbell D, (2012) Direct evaluation of IEC 61850-9-2 process bus network performance, IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, 3 (4), pp. 1853-1854.
- Wu P, Clothier R, Campbell D, Walker R, (2007) Fuzzy Multi-Objective Mission Flight Planning in Unmanned Aerial Systems, Proceedings of the 2007 IEEE Symposium on Computational Intelligence in Multicriteria Decision Making, pp. 2-9.
- Ingram D, Schaub P, Campbell D, Taylor R, (2013) Performance analysis of PTP components for IEC 61850 process bus applications, IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, 62 (4), pp. 710-719.
- Narayan P, Meyer P, Campbell D, (2013) Embedding human expert cognition into autonomous UAS trajectory planning, IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, 43 (2), pp. 530-543.
- Ingram D, Schaub P, Taylor R, Campbell D, (2013) Network interactions and performance of a multi-function IEC 61850 process bus, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 60 (12), pp. 5933-5942.
- Schaub P, Taylor R, Campbell D, Ingram D, (2013) Performance analysis of IEC 61850 sampled value process bus networks, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, 9 (3), pp. 1445-1454.
- Ingram D, Schaub P, Campbell D, (2011) Multicast traffic filtering for sampled value process bus networks, Proceedings of the 37th Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, pp. 4710-4715.
Completed supervisions (Doctorate)
- Visual Control for Automated Aircraft Collision Avoidance Systems (2015)
- Aircraft Dynamic Navigation for Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (2014)
- Design Methodologies and Architectures of Hardware-Based Evolutionary Algorithms for Aerospace Optimisation Applications on FPGAS (2014)
- Assessment of Precision Timing and Real-Time Data Networks for Digital Substation Automation (2013)
- Decision Support for the Safe Design and Operation of Unmanned Aircraft Systems (2012)
- Embedding Human Expert Cognition and Real-Time Trajectory Planning in Autonomous UAS (2012)
- Integrated Vision-Based Attitude Estimation (2012)
- Path Planning, Guidance and Control for a UAV Forced Landing (2011)
- Multi-Objective Mission Flight Planning in Civil Unmanned Aerial Systems (2009)