You are viewing Australian and NZ students' course information. Change to view international students' course information.
- Study a Master of Applied Science Medical Physics and help further your career in the medical and health physics discipline.
- Prepares you for a career in hospitals, health departments, tertiary institutions and medical instrumentation companies, either as a medical physicist, health physicist or bioengineer.
- Complete in 1.5 years full-time or 3 years part-time.
- Exit early option with a Graduate Diploma of Applied Science (Medical Physics).
|QUT course code||PH80|
|Attendance||Part-time or Full-time|
|Course duration||1.5 years full-time
3 years part-time
|Start month||2014 February, July|
These courses deal with well-established and emerging areas of medical and health physics including clinical measurement, computing, health physics, instrumentation, medical electronics, medical imaging, physiological monitoring, physics of radiotherapy, radiobiology, and radiological imaging sciences. The coursework also contains an introduction to the clinical sciences.
Graduates can seek employment in hospitals, health departments, tertiary institutions and medical instrumentation companies. Depending on the field of employment, graduates may be known as a medical physicist, health physicist or bio-engineer. Professional medical/health physicists:
- apply electronic tools and medical software, ultrasonics, radiation and computers to clinical and environmental problems
- monitor the environment to maintain acceptable standards in the workplace and the community
- apply fundamental physical research in development programs
- are responsible for calibration, care and maintenance of instruments and apparatus.
The course is accredited by the Australasian College of Physical Sciences and Engineers in Medicine.
Stage 1—Graduate Diploma (PH71) comprises assessed coursework such as advanced lectures, seminars, reading units or independent study. Full-time students will need an average of 14 hours a week of formal contact (seven hours for part‑time students). Students can graduate with a Graduate Diploma in Medical Physics after satisfactory completion of Stage 1.
Stage 2—Master of Applied Science (PH80) students undertake a program of supervised research and investigation that can be completed at QUT or in a suitable external institution.
Applicants must possess an acceptable Bachelor of Science degree with a major in physics. Applicants with other qualifications (eg medical engineering) may enrol with the approval of the course coordinator. In some instances, a modified program may be necessary.
QUT only offers a limited number of places in this course and these places are likely to fill early. Once filled QUT will not be making any further offers. You are therefore encouraged to apply as soon as possible after July.
Your actual fees may vary depending on which units you choose. All fees are based on current fixed fee prices. We review fees annually.
2014: CSP $4,400 per Study Period (48 credit points) (subject to annual review)
Student Services and Amenities Fee
You'll need to pay the Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) as part of your course costs.
HECS-HELP: loans to help you pay your course fees
You may not have to pay anything upfront if you're eligible for a HECS-HELP loan.
Scholarships and financial support
You can apply for scholarships to help you with study and living costs.
These scholarships are available for this course:
You may also be eligible for Centrelink payments
How to apply for Master of Applied Science (Medical Physics)
You apply directly to QUT for all our postgraduate courses.
Are you ready to submit your application?
You're ready if you have:
- Found all the courses you want to apply for. You can apply for up to 3.
- Checked important dates.
- Checked you meet the entry requirements
- Checked course costs and if you're eligible for financial support
- Checked if you're eligible for credit for prior learning
- Collected supporting documents (see application form)
All done? Then you're ready to apply.
Get just the information you want on courses, scholarships and events.