You are viewing Australian and NZ students' course information. Change to view international students' course information.
Master of Business (Management)
Learn about the key principles and practices of effective and efficient business management, and gain a competitive edge for success in dynamic business environments.
Early graduation options
You may be able to graduate sooner with:
- This 2 year program can be completed in 1.5 years if you have a bachelor degree in business or a related field. See entry requirements for details.
- Hone your analytical, decision-making, communication and problem solving skills to advance your career
- Learn about the key principles and practices of effective and efficient business management, and gain a competitive edge for success in dynamic business environments
- Designed for students from a broad range of professions who now wish to enhance and further their career prospects by acquiring knowledge and skills in the area of management
- Your knowledge and research skills are developed throughout the course and taken to an advanced level in the capstone unit, which focuses on managing high performance organisations
- Upon completion, you will have an understanding of the important aspects necessary for managing at the non-executive level, or in a small to medium sized business
- Find out more at our upcoming MBA and Postgraduate Business Information Event.
|QUT course code||BS11|
|Attendance||Full-time or Part-time|
1.5 years full-time
3 years part-time
Note: Business and related discipline graduates: 1.5 years full-time; 3 years part-time. All other graduates: 2 years full-time; 4 years part-time. Please refer to the entry requirements tab for further information.
|Start month||2018 & 2019 February, July|
|Course contact||QUT Business School|
Other courses you may be interested in
- Executive Master of Business Administration (EMBA)
- Master of Business (Human Resource Management)
- Master of Business (Philanthropy and Nonprofit Studies)
- Master of Business - Executive (Complex Program Leadership)
- Master of Business - Executive (Strategic Procurement)
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Master of Business/Master of Business
- Master of Engineering Management
- Master of Project Management
This course is designed for people from a broad range of occupations and professions who wish to enhance their career prospects by acquiring knowledge and skills in the area of management. You will be introduced to theoretical principles of management, and the skills to deal with real-world business problems in changing and dynamic environments. The course will extend your knowledge on how to analyse business situations at strategic and operational levels, provide managerial solutions to business issues, and monitor the effectiveness of management decisions. You will gain a competitive edge for managerial success by learning how to effectively self-manage, lead and manage teams and communicate competently in diverse contexts.
QUT’s Master of Business has been redesigned to ensure it meets the new quality assurance standards set by the Australian Qualifications Framework for masters by coursework programs. The learning outcomes of the course have been refreshed to provide you with a more engaging and real world learning experience.
Why choose this course?
This course is designed to extend your real-world management knowledge and skills. You will acquire a strong theoretical and practical understanding of the key principles and practices of business management as well as hone your analytical, decision making and problem solving skills.
In undertaking this study area you will also acquire knowledge and skills to apply to the challenges and complexities of managing at strategic and operational levels. You will also develop skills in leading and managing teams, self-management and the ability to collaborate with others in diverse contexts, gaining a competitive edge for managerial success in today’s rapidly changing and dynamic business environment.
Units in this postgraduate program are delivered using a mix of face-to-face, online and blended learning technologies. All course materials are placed online including course lecture materials, practical session guides, readings and help guides.
Developed in consultation with industry, our programs incorporate real-world case analysis, activities and workplace projects. You will also benefit from meaningful connections with industry leaders and practitioners as they share their insights into essential skills and attributes needed for professional practice.
You will learn how to exercise creativity, independent judgement and critical reflection, to plan, design, adapt and implement strategies and solutions that contribute to real world business practice and research.
Your knowledge and research skills are taken to an advanced level in the capstone unit of this course. This unit focuses on managing high performance organisations.
Graduates will be equipped for team-leadership, coordinator and front-line management roles within corporate and public sector enterprises from small business to large companies. Positions may include:
- Team leader
- Project manager
- Small business owner/manager
- Branch manager.
Graduates will meet the membership entry requirements for the Australian Institute of Management.
Students who have articulated from the Graduate Certificate in Business (Management) may receive exemptions for up to 48 credit points.
Advanced standing may also be available to students who have studied a related postgraduate program with another institution within the last five years.
Recognition of prior learning
If you hold a recognised undergraduate degree, in a related discipline study area, your experience in our Master of Business program will be tailored to your learning needs.
Your work experience in a related field may also be considered for recognition of prior learning.
Students may exit from the Master of Business (BS11) at the following stages, once those particular course requirements have been met:
- Graduate Diploma of Business (BS79) (Study Area A)
- Graduate Certificate in Business (BS39) (Study Area A).
International double masters program
If you would like to attain two internationally accredited masters in about the same time that it would normally take you to get one, you may consider our international double masters program. In an exchange study, you complete part of your degree at one of two leading institutions in Europe. Through cross-crediting of your course content, you are able to obtain the full degrees from both institutions – and you may be able to complete the double degree in the same time that it would take you to complete your QUT Master of Business program. For more information, visit international double degrees.
The QUT Business School’s Business Advantage program is a free program offered to all business students. It can help you develop skills through interaction, discussion, cooperation and debate with other students and leaders from business, government, education and community sectors. The program includes: guest presentations from inspiring industry, community and university leaders; sessions focused on specific social and professional skills; challenging interaction aimed at developing skills through new experiences; and provides a certificate of completion for you to include in your resume or portfolio. Not only does this program offer you excellent networking opportunities, but also the opportunity to gain highly relevant experiences and skills that you can apply throughout your career.
The Master of Business is designed in three blocks of study:
1. Foundation studies (48 credit points)
2. Discipline studies (96 credit points)
3. Complementary studies (48 credit points)
Students with an undergraduate degree that is not in Business or a related field of study will undertake 192 credit points of study commencing with Foundation studies.
Students who have completed an undergraduate degree in Business or related field of study with a minimum GPA of 4 (on a 7 point scale) will undertake 144 credit points of study in their course.
The enrolment program students will undertake will depend on their prior study:
• Undergraduate degree in the same discipline as their chosen major: Students will commence their study in the Discipline studies block.
• Undergraduate Business degree in a different discipline to their chosen major: Students will commence their study in the Foundation studies block.
Students will be able to access course progression advice from the School of Management.
Academic entry requirements
Master of Business - 1.5 year program
A completed recognised bachelor degree in business or related field with a minimum grade point average of 4.0 (on QUT's 7 point scale).
Master of Business - 2 year program
A completed recognised bachelor degree (or higher award) in any discipline with a minimum grade point average of 4.0 (on QUT's 7 point scale).
Note: You don't need to apply for the 1.5 year program. You'll be automatically assessed for eligibility as part of QUT's application for admission process.
Your actual fees may vary depending on which units you choose. We review fees annually, and they may be subject to increases.
2019: $27,200 per year full-time (96 credit points) (subject to annual review)
2018: $26,400 per year full-time (96 credit points) (subject to annual review)
Student Services and Amenities Fee
You may need to pay the Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) as part of your course costs.
FEE-HELP: loans to help you pay your course fees
You may not have to pay anything upfront if you're eligible for a FEE-HELP loan.
Find out if you're eligible for a FEE-HELP loan
Scholarships and financial support
You can apply for scholarships to help you with study and living costs.
These scholarships are available for this course:
You may also be eligible for Centrelink payments.
How to apply for Master of Business (Management)
You apply directly to QUT for all our postgraduate courses.
Are you ready to submit your application?
You're ready if you have:
- Found all the courses you want to apply for. You can apply for up to 3.
- Checked important dates.
- Checked you meet the entry requirements
- Checked course costs and if you're eligible for financial support
- Checked if you're eligible for credit for prior learning
- Collected supporting documents (see application form)
All done? Then you're ready to apply.
Get just the information you want on courses, scholarships and events.