Skip to content

Blue cards

If you're working with children or young people as part of your studies or work experience, you must have a blue card before you begin your placement.

A blue card confirms that you've passed a screening of your criminal history - the 'working with children check' - and are approved to work with children and young people under 18 years old.

Do I need a blue card?

You must have a criminal history check and be issued with a blue card before you can participate in a professional experience or placement in some QUT courses.

You'll need to lodge your blue card application either before or when you start your studies. You must have received your blue card before starting your first professional experience placement. If you didn't get your blue card through QUT, you'll need to link it to us.

You don't need a blue card if you're a registered Queensland teacher or serving Queensland police officer, but you must apply for an exemption card when providing regulated services to children that are outside of your professional duties.

How do I get a blue card?

When you're accepted into one of our courses, we'll give you more information about how to apply for a blue card.

You should apply for your blue card as soon as you're accepted into your course because it can take a while for Blue Card services to process your application.

I'm an international student

For some of our courses, a blue card is a condition of your offer to study at QUT. You'll need to scan and email your application or renewal form and certified identification documents to your agent, or International Admissions.

Blue card application form (PDF file, 212.93 KB)

We've prepared a guide to help you complete your application form from overseas. We've also completed an example form.

Guide to completing your application from overseas (PDF file, 157.55 KB)

See a completed example application (PDF file, 486.99 KB)