Carumba Institute awards grants for embedding Indigenous perspectives
Eight QUT academics presented at the Indigenous Perspectives in Learning and Teaching Forum, where the top three proposals to embed culturally safe spaces through QUT curriculum were awarded grants. Congratulations to A/Prof Deanna Grant-Smith (Business), A/Prof Connie Susilawati (Business), and Dr Ruari Elkington (CI) for winning, and Dr Kate Murray (Health) for the People’s Choice award!
Webinar: Reconciling the idea of reconciliation in universities starting with boodjah neh
The Carumba Institute hosted Dr Veronica Goerke (Curtin University) via a Zoom webinar, who shared research findings from her policy ethnography on reconciliation in Australian universities. As the Reconciliation Elders in Dr Goerke’s study maintains, universities should be at the forefront of determining how Reconciliation in Australia is expressed.
QUT staff awarded Associate Fellow (Indigenous)
Ten QUT staff members have been awarded Associate Fellow (Indigenous) of the Higher Education Academy (HEA) following a pilot program underpinned by a new module on Indigenous Perspectives in Learning and Teaching.
QUT receives accreditation for specialist recognition of AFHEA (Indigenous)
QUT has received accreditation to run a pilot program offering recognition for embedding Indigenous perspectives in higher education learning and teaching.
Report on Indigenous Success in Higher Degrees by Research
This report, prepared for the Australian Government Department of Education and Training, reveals disparities between Indigenous HDR students’ expectations (wants) and their actual needs and how these are fulfilled by their supervisory team.
Professor Peter Anderson
Anderson, Peter, Maeda, Koji, Diamond, Zane, & Sato, Chizu (Eds.) (2020) Post-Imperial Perspectives on Indigenous Education: Lessons from Japan and Australia. Routledge, United Kingdom.
- Anderson, Peter J., Maeda, Koji, Diamond, Zane, Sato, Chizu (2020) Introducing Indigenous education in Japan and Australia pp. 1-22.
- Anderson, Peter J., Diamond, Zane, Diamond, Jeane (2020) Embracing and resisting Indigenist perspectives in Australian pre-service teacher education pp. 126-150.
- Anderson, Peter J. & Diamond, Zane (2020) Stabilising and sustaining Indigenous leadership in Australian universities pp. 186-208.
- Goerke, Veronica & Anderson, Peter J. (2020) The usefulness of the idea and concept of reconciliation for guiding Australian Indigenous higher education in the postcolonial, post-imperial world pp. 227-254.
Dr Levon Blue
Sammel, A., Whatman, S. & Blue, L.E. (Eds). (2020). Indigenizing education: Discussions and case studies from Australia and Canada. Springer.
- Blue, L.E. (2020). Financial Literacy Education in a First Nation Community in Canada: Educating for Agency pp. 31-45.
- Bodle, K. & Blue, L.E. (2020). Indigenizing the Business Curriculum at an Australian University pp. 181-192.