- Provides a premium pathway into QUT's Master of Information Technology.
- Suitable for international students who have not met the minimum English language requirements to enter the Masters degree.
- Advance your knowledge and skills in your chosen IT discipline and develop your English language capability and academic literacy.
- Successful graduates will receive 1 semester of credit for prior learning (advanced standing) towards the Master of Information Technology degree.
Why choose this course?
The Graduate Certificate in Communication for Information Technology will help you to meet the English language requirements of the Master of Information Technology (IN20) program. This program will help you to improve your English language capability and academic literacy skills while studying advanced IT topics. On completion of the Graduate Certificate in Communication with the required results, you are guaranteed a place in the second semester of the chosen Master of Information Technology program.
Explore this course
This course is intended primarily as a pathway for international students who want to study Master of Information Technology (IN20) program but have not met the English language requirements for direct entry. Graduate Certificate in Communication for Information Technology is designed to help students acquire postgraduate level knowledge and skill in a specialist information technology discipline, while developing competency in English language and academic literacy.
You will be studying two Communication units at the QUT College to enhance your academic English language skills, and two IT major units at the faculty from one of the following majors:
- Business Analysis
- Business Process Management
- Computer Science
- Cyber Security and Networks
- Data Science
- Enterprise Systems
- Executive IT
- Software Development.
. This Graduate Certificate in Communication will provide students with the ability to formulate best practice IT strategies and solutions.
- Study on campus as a QUT student with access to all services and facilities across the University.
- On completion with the required results, receive a guaranteed place in Master of Information Technology with 1 semester of advanced standing.
- Develop academic English language skills and progress without the need to take another IELTS test (or equivalent).
During your studies, you will experience a range of learning approaches, including:
- Units which aim to develop academic literacies, specifically English language proficiency
- Peer-to-peer and team-based learning, including workshops
- Demonstration-style lectures: problem solving with guidance
- Practical computer-based activities focusing on designing and building IT artefacts and critically reflecting on the underlying process
- Authentic assessment activities like case studies, projects, and problem-solving tasks that are directly relevant to real-world IT research and practice.
Progression to your related Master degree
To progress into QUT's Master of Information Technology you will need to successfully complete your Graduate Certificate in Communication with a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 4.0 on a 7-point scale.
After successful completion of Graduate Certificate in Communication for Information Technology, you are eligible for 48 credit points (one semester) of advanced standing towards:
- Master of Information Technology (IN20): all majors (remaining duration: 3 semesters)
Refer to the 'Requirements' tab for more information.
The course structure consists of 48 credit points of units. There are two common core communications units (24 credit points) and two information technology unit options (24 credit points) from the following information technology areas:
- computer science/software development
- cyber security and networks
- business analysis
- business process management
- data science
- enterprise systems
- executive IT
NOTE: You should select the recommended IT units for your chosen major on commencement of IN17. Please contact the Course Coordinator for assistance with any IT unit selection.
- Course code
- CRICOS code
- Gardens Point
- Kelvin Grove
- 6 months full-time
- February and July
Minimum academic requirements
A completed recognised bachelor degree in information technology with a minimum grade point average (GPA) score of 4.0 (on QUT's 7 point scale).
Pathway to the Master of Information Technology
- Graduate Certificate in Communication for Information Technology (IN17) (one semester) to Master of Information Technology (IN20) (three semesters)
Pathway to Master of Data Analytics
- Graduate Certificate in Communication for Information Technology (IN17) (one semester) leading to Master of Data Analytics (IN27) (three semesters)
Minimum English language requirements
Select the country where you completed your studies to see a guide on meeting QUT’s English language requirements.
Your scores and prior qualifications in English-speaking countries are considered. Approved English-speaking countries are Australia, Canada, England, Ireland, New Zealand, Scotland, South Africa, United States of America and Wales.
If your country or qualification is not listed, you can still apply for this course and we will assess your eligibility.
We accept English language proficiency scores from the following tests. Tests must be taken no more than 2 years prior to the QUT course commencement.
|TOEFL iBT / Home / Paper||71||10||14||18||14|
|IELTS Academic / IELTS Online||6||5||5.5||5.5||5|
Cambridge English Score
You must share your results with QUT through the Candidate Results Online website.
|PTE Academic/PTE Academic Online||50||38||46||46||38|
We offer English language programs to improve your English and help you gain entry to this course.
When you apply for this course, we will recommend which English course you should enrol in.
Your actual fees may vary depending on which units you choose. We review fees annually, and they may be subject to increases.
2023: To Be Announced
2023: To Be Announced
2022: $16,300 per course (48 credit points)
FEE-HELP: loans to help you pay your course fees
You may not have to pay anything upfront if you're eligible for a FEE-HELP loan.