This person does not currently hold a position at QUT.
Body composition, Childhood obesity, Exercise, Obesity, Physical activity, Weight control
Human Movement and Sports Science
Field of Research code, Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC), 2008
- PhD (University of Queensland)
- MSc (University of Oregon)
- BEd (University of Tasmania)
Professional memberships and associations
- Foundation member since 1992;
- Executive Council member and Secretary, 1996-1999;
- Vice-President, 1999-2001
- President, 2001-2003
Australian Association for Exercise and Sports Science (AAESS)
- Editor, National Newsletter of AAESS, 1992-1997;
- National Board member, 1996-1997
International Council for Physical Activity and Fitness Research (ICPAFR)
- Secretary-Treasurer, elected 1998-2002
European College of Sport Science
HMB172 Nutrition and Physical Activity
HMB277 Exercise and Sports Nutrition
HMB377 Children in Sport
- Dollman J, Okely A, Hardy L, Timperio A, Salmon J, Hills A, (2009) A hitchhiker's guide to assessing young people's physical activity: Deciding what method to use, Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, 12 (5), pp. 518-525.
- Hills A, Byrne N, Wood R, (2008) Exercise, physical activity, and eating and weight disorders. In N Armstrong & W Van Mechelen, Paediatric, Exercise Science and Medicine, Oxford University Press, pp. 453-465.
- Sharpe J, Byrne N, Stedman T, Hills A, (2008) Bioelectric impedance is a better indicator of obesity in men with schizophrenia than body mass index, Psychiatry Research, 159 (1-2), pp. 121-126.
- Sharpe J, Byrne N, Stedman T, Hills A, (2008) Comparison of clinical body composition methods in people taking weight-inducing atypical antipsychotic medications, Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 17 (4), pp. 573-579.
- Deforche B, Hills A, Worringham C, Davies P, Murphy A, Bouckaert J, De Bourdeaudhuij I, (2009) Balance and postural skills in normal-weight and overweight prepubertal boys, Pediatric Obesity, 4 (3), pp. 175-182.
- Heitmann B, Hills A, Frederiksen P, Ward L, (2009) Obesity, leanness, and mortality: Effect modification by physical activity in men and women, Obesity, 17 (1), pp. 136-142.
- Yeung J, Wearing S, Hills A, (2008) Child transport practices and perceived barriers in active commuting to school, Transportation Research, Part A: Policy and Practice, 42 (6), pp. 895-900.
- Kagawa M, Tahara Y, Moji K, Tsunawake N, Hills A, (2008) Preferable percentage body fat estimation equation for Japanese athletic children: Comparison using Japanese and non-Japanese specific equations, International Journal of Body Composition Research, 6 (4), pp. 193-200.
- Liberato S, Bressan J, Hills A, (2008) A qualitative analysis of energy intake reported by young men, Nutrition and Dietetics, 65 (4), pp. 259-265.
- Colley R, Hills A, O'Moore-Sullivan T, Hickman I, Prins J, Byrne N, (2008) Variability in adherence to an unsupervised exercise prescription in obese women, International Journal of Obesity, 32 (5), pp. 837-844.
Completed supervisions (Doctorate)
- Body composition and energy expenditure in men with schizophrenia (2008)
- Energy expenditure and physical activity patterns in children: Applicabiity of simultaneous methods (2008)
- Exercise intensity, exercise training and energy metabolism in obese males (2008)
- Quantifying the effect of exercise on total energy expenditure in obese women (2007)
- "A Sense of Control": a Model of a Virtual Community for People with a Mobility Impairments (2006)
- Application of Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis to Detect Body Composition of Athletes (2003)
- Exercise, Training and Adaptation in Peripheral Arterial Occlusive Disease (2003)
- Performance, Metabolic and Hormonal Alterations During OverReaching (2003)