- Student type:
- Current domestic students
- Future domestic students
- Current international students
- Future international students
- Struggling financially
- Study type:
- Postgraduate coursework
- Postgraduate research
- Creative Industries
- Science and Engineering
You must be:
- from a low-income background
- be experiencing financial hardship
We also take personal hardship into consideration when assessing applications. This includes:
- personal medical conditions
- dependants with special needs.
There are some guarantees with our Equity scholarship:
- If you're a commencing Smith Family Learning for Life student, you're guaranteed an Equity Scholarship of $1,250 if you start in Semester 2, or $2,500 if you start in Semester 1. You're also guaranteed an Equity computer (a reconditioned desktop computer with internet access and a USB drive) if you need one.
- If you're a commencing Q-Step Scheme student, you're guaranteed an Equity Scholarship of $1,250 if you start in Semester 2, or $2,500 if you start in Semester 1.
- If you're a commencing Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander student, you're guaranteed the Equity bursary of $1,000. You won't receive this bursary if you successfully apply for one or more Indigenous Commonwealth Scholarships.
You can't apply if you're a:
- visiting student
- cross-institutional student
- QUT International College student.
What you receive
Domestic students can receive:
- an Equity Scholarship of $5,000 for one year (there are limited scholarships available at this value)
- an Equity Scholarship of $2,500 for one year
- an Equity Bursary of $1,000 for one year
- an Equity computer (a reconditioned desktop computer with internet access and a USB drive).
You can only receive one of the monetary awards (scholarships and bursaries). If you're eligible for more than one, you'll receive the one with the highest value. If you're eligible for a computer, you may receive that as well as a scholarship or bursary.
International students can receive:
- an Equity Bursary of up to $1,000 for one year.
How to apply
Applications for Semester 1, 2013 Equity Scholarships have now closed. Applications for Semester 2, 2013 will open in late May.
What happens next
We will assess your application and score it against criteria, including your:
- individual financial situation
- personal circumstances.
We allocate scholarships based on need. The neediest students will receive the highest value scholarships. The number of scholarships available will determine the cut-off to receive a scholarship.
You must enrol in the semester you applied for. Before we pay your scholarship, we will check your enrolment status to ensure you are still enrolled and eligible.
In 2012, QUT's Equity Scholarships Scheme will continue to provide about $2.5 million in scholarships, bursaries and free computers to low-income students - including those not eligible for Commonwealth Scholarships.
This scholarship has been provided by QUT's Learning Potential Fund (LPF). The LPF is supported by donations from graduates, staff and friends of the university, as well as funds from QUT, and was established to assist low-income students.
Equity Scholarships Team
Equity Scholarships Team
- Phone: 3138 5582
- Int. phone: +61 7 3138 5582
- Fax: +61 7 3138 5600
- Email: email@example.com
- C Block,
Victoria Park Rd
Kelvin Grove QLD 4001
- Postal address:
QUT Equity Services
Victoria Park Road
Kelvin Grove QLD 4059
Get just the information you want on courses, scholarships and events.