What you'll receive
You will receive an Australian South Sea Islander Community Foundation Scholarship. The value and number of scholarships will vary annually depending on funding.
These scholarships are subject to annual funding.
You must be:
- an Australian South Sea Islander who is a direct descendant of the South Sea Islanders who were brought into Queensland between 1863 and 1904 and worked as indentured labourers
- not have previously completed an undergraduate degree at any university
- be intending to enrol or are currently enrolled in an undergraduate program (either part time or full time) at QUT
You must also be:
- from a low-income background
- experiencing financial hardship
- enrolled in or applying for an undergraduate course.
We also take personal hardship into consideration when assessing applications. This includes:
- personal medical conditions
- dependants with special needs.
Who can't apply?
You can't apply if you're a:
- single-unit study student - studying an individual unit at QUT, but not enrolled in a QUT course
- cross-institutional student - enrolled in a course at another university, but studying specific units at QUT and receiving credit towards your course at the other university
- QUT International College (QUTIC) student - studying one of the pathway programs offered by our international college, including foundation courses, university diplomas and English language courses
How to apply
Applications for Semester 1, 2020 have now closed.
Completing the application form
When applications are open, you only need to submit one application form to be considered for all scholarships under the scheme. Make sure you follow the instructions to supply all relevant supporting documents by the closing date.
What happens next?
We'll assess your application and score it against our selection criteria.
We allocate scholarships based on need. Students with the greatest need will receive the highest value scholarships. There are a limited number of scholarships available.
When will I know the outcome of my application?
If you applied and submitted all supporting documentation by 9am on 3 February 2020, we’ll let you know the outcome by the end of week 1 of classes in Semester 1, 2020.
If you applied and submitted all supporting documentation by 9am on 24 February, we’ll let you know the outcome by the end of week 4 of classes in Semester 1, 2020.
You must enrol in the semester you applied for. Before we pay your scholarship, we will check your enrolment status to ensure you are still enrolled and eligible.
About the scholarship
The Australian South Sea Islander Community Foundation was established by the Queensland Government in 2001 as a perpetual fund to provide scholarships to Australian South Sea Islander undergraduate students.
Equity Scholarships Team
- Level 3, C Block
- Room 301
- Kelvin Grove
(Closed public holidays)
- Postal address
- QUT Equity Scholarships
- Victoria Park Rd
- Kelvin Grove, Qld 4059