What you'll receive
For Semester 2, 2020 you may receive one or more of:
- an Indigenous Bursary (IB) of $1,500 for one semester only, to assist Indigenous students from low-income backgrounds to undertake study at QUT
- an Indigenous Relocation Scholarship (IRS) of $2,500 for one semester only, to assist Indigenous students who have relocated from a rural or remote area to study at QUT
- an Indigenous Costs Scholarship (ICS) of $1,750 for one semester only, to assist Indigenous students meet the cost of living and studying while at QUT.
These scholarships are subject to federal government funding.
You must be one of:
- an Australian citizen (including dual citizens)
- a permanent resident of Australia
- a permanent humanitarian visa holder
- a New Zealand citizen.
You must also be:
- of Australian Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent
- from a low-income background
- experiencing financial hardship
- enrolled in or applying for an undergraduate, postgraduate coursework or postgraduate research course at QUT.
We also take personal hardship into consideration when assessing applications. This includes:
- personal medical conditions
- dependants with special needs.
If you're financially comfortable, and don't experience financial hardship, you should not apply for these scholarships. Academic results are not taken into consideration for these scholarships, only financial need.
If you meet the eligibility requirements, you will be considered for the:
- Indigenous Bursary (IB)
- Indigenous Costs Scholarship (ICS).
We also offer the Indigenous Relocation Scholarship (IRS) if you:
- have relocated to study from a regional or remote area of Australia, and are able to provide evidence of your prior address in order to meet residence relocation requirements
- are studying the majority of your course as an internal students, unless there are exceptional circumstances.
Current scholarship holders
If you've previously received a Commonwealth Scholarship from QUT, and you'll continue to receive it in 2020, you can't reapply for any other Indigenous Commonwealth Scholarships. You may be eligible for scholarships through the Equity Scholarships Scheme. Contact the Equity Scholarships team to discuss your options.
If your Commonwealth Scholarship has ended because you've received the maximum amount of payments or you're no longer eligible, we encourage you to apply for other scholarships or bursaries through the Equity Scholarships Scheme.
Who can't apply
You can't apply if you're a:
- single-unit study student - studying an individual unit at QUT, but not enrolled in a QUT course
- cross-institutional student - enrolled in a course at another university, but studying specific units at QUT and receiving credit towards your course at the other university
- International College (QUTIC) student - studying one of the pathway programs offered by our international college, including foundation courses, university diplomas and English language courses
How to apply
Completing the application form
To be considered for this scholarship, you need to apply through our Equity Scholarships Scheme.
You only need to submit one application form to be considered for all scholarships under the scheme. Make sure you follow the instructions to supply all relevant supporting documents by the closing date.
What happens next?
We will assess your application and score it against our selection criteria.
We allocate scholarships based on need. Students with the greatest need will receive the highest value scholarships. The number of scholarships available will determine the cut-off to receive a scholarship.
When will I know the outcome of my application?
If you applied and submitted all supporting documentation by 9am on 20 July 2020, we’ll let you know whether your application was successful by early August 2020.
These offer dates are subject to federal government funding.
You can't concurrently hold a QUT Indigenous Commonwealth Scholarship and a scholarship of the same or similar type administered by Centrelink. If you are unsure if this situation applies to you, contact the Equity Scholarships team.
About the scholarship
The Indigenous Commonwealth Scholarships are for Indigenous students from low-income backgrounds, and Indigenous students who face significant financial barriers to studying at university.
These scholarships will be available subject to federal government funding.
Equity Scholarships Team
- Level 3, C Block
- Room 301
- Kelvin Grove
(Closed public holidays)
Due to Covid-19 the team will only be available in-person by appointment. To book a time, please call the number above and leave a message with your name, contact number, preferred day and time. We will contact you to confirm.
- Postal address
- QUT Equity Scholarships
- Victoria Park Rd
- Kelvin Grove, Qld 4059