Receiving your offer

We’ll take approximately six to eight weeks to process your Expression of Interest (EOI) and final application, if you’ve submitted all the necessary documentation.

If your final application is successful, we’ll send you your offer directly, or to your agent if you used one.

If you apply during a QUT scholarship round, processing your application may take longer. Find outcome dates for rounds when applying for a research scholarship.

Can I change my start date?

If you’ve received your offer letter for a research degree and you want to change your start date (that is, you want to start earlier or later than the date on your offer) you can complete our request form.

Request to change start date for a QUT research degree

Can I change my application after I've submitted it?

If you need to change any details after submitting your final application, email us at and include your application number.

When do I need to accept my offer by?

We recommend that you accept your offer as soon as you are able to meet the conditions, if any. You’ll need to accept at least two weeks prior to your commencement date.

International applicants who will be applying for a student visa should accept as quickly as possible to allow for visa processing time.

Accepting your scholarship offer

To accept your scholarship, you’ll need to:

  1. Follow the instructions in your offer email and letter. When you accept your scholarship, we’ll email you further instructions on how to provide your payment details.
  2. Accept your offer of admission, as instructed in your offer email and letter.

Accepting your offer of admission

To finalise your acceptance, you must:

  • meet all the conditions of your offer
  • complete your online acceptance of offer form - you must follow the instructions in your offer email and letter
  • International students must also:

Certifying and sending your documents to QUT

You may be requested to submit further documents if you were given a conditional offer.

If your documents are not in English, you will need to supply a certified English translation.

You can use the following methods to arrange for your documents to be certified and sent to QUT.

QUT Application Portal

If you applied through the QUT Application Portal, arrange for a Justice of the Peace in Australia or a notary office overseas to certify your documents and then upload your certified documents to the QUT Application Portal. We recommend doing this as early in your application as possible.

Previous institution issued documents

Your education provider who issued the academic documents may send the documents by email or post directly to

We will only accept digital copies by email if the electronic copy is received directly from the institution. The email must be received from an authorised department's/employee's official email address with their electronic signature in the body of the email confirming their function/position at the institution.

Electronic or digital document

If your previous academic institution has partnered with a platform that enables universities to confirm the digital qualifications of students, please contact them to issue your digital documents to through this platform.

If your previous studies have been taken in Australia, please use My eQuals to issue secure digital credentials documents.

QUT representative

You can nominate an approved QUT representative to assist with your application who can certify your documents. If there are time restraints for your acceptance we recommend using a QUT representative.

If your previous studies have been taken in Australia, please use My eQuals to issue secure digital credentials documents to both your agent and QUT.

In person

If you are onshore, you can submit your documents in person at the Graduate Research Centre.

International students being sponsored to study

If you are being sponsored for your studies, send your financial guarantee documentation from your sponsoring organisation. Follow the instructions in your offer letter.

Financial guarantees must be on official letterhead addressed to QUT, and must include:

  • the student's full name
  • the course or courses for which the sponsorship is approved
  • the duration of the sponsorship
  • whether Overseas Student Health Cover is paid for.

Activate your email account

Once you’ve accepted your offer you’ll receive an email with instructions to activate your student email account.

If you have any issues, contact HiQ on 3138 2000.

As a Higher Degree Research (HDR) student, you'll have a HDR student email address that ends in ‘'.

All QUT communication will be sent to this account. We recommend checking it at least once per day.

Enrolment steps

Domestic students:

We will enrol you in your course one month prior to your commencement date and email you to let you know. Ensure you have activated your student email account.

International students:

After arriving in Australia:

  1. Follow the advice provided by International Student Services for their induction.
  2. Email or call the Graduate Research Centre for your International Commencement Form. You will receive instructions to help you do this.
  3. We will enrol you in your course and email you to let you know. Ensure you have activated your student email account.

Contact or 3138 7200 if you have any questions.

Flights and accommodation

For international students, once your visa is approved, you should book your flights. Plan to arrive in Brisbane at least two weeks before your commencement date. Organise temporary accommodation to stay in while you look for somewhere to live permanently. There are several temporary accommodation options close to the city and our campuses:

Organise your ID card

You can request your QUT ID card only once you are enrolled in your course. Your ID Card will allow access to a range of services, such as:

  • borrowing library books
  • using computer labs, some rooms, and buildings
  • traveling on the QUT shuttle bus for free
  • accessing your copy/print account
  • parking your vehicle on campus at a discount rate.

You’ll have to set up your email account so you can access more information about your ID card.


In your first few weeks of study make sure you go along to an orientation session.

Graduate Research Education and Development (GRE+D) also hold orientation sessions each semester on both campuses.

Get your public transport concession

Brisbane’s public transport is managed by TransLink. Once you are enrolled, check the Translink website to find out if you can apply for a transport concession card.