- Suitable for a range of English levels starting from Elementary to Advanced.
- Develops the core skills of reading, writing, speaking, and listening while increasing fluency and accuracy.
- Develops confidence to communicate successfully both socially and professionally.
- Prepares you for English for Academic Purposes programs (EAP 1 or EAP 2).
Why choose this course?
If you want to improve your English for school, work and everyday life, or if you want to study at QUT but your IELTS score is below 5.0, then General English is a great place to start.
As a General English student you will:
- learn the core skills of reading, writing, speaking and listening
- develop confidence to speak fluently in English with other people
- increase your vocabulary
- perfect your pronunciation
- participate in cultural studies, including field trips and excursions
- receive a personalised progression report every five weeks.
Explore this course
You will develop your proficiency through presentation and practice of relevant language content and skills in small classes (maximum 18 students). There will be interactive, task-based, student-centred activities in both simulated and authentic contexts.
We have five General English levels:
You will take a placement test on your first day to determine which level of English is right for you.
Our General English program runs from 5 to 45 weeks. Each level consists of two five-week sessions, which is why it is recommended that students study a minimum of 10 weeks of General English to complete the full level.
You will spend 25 hours per week in class.
- 20 hours will be face-to-face or online learning with your class teacher.
- 5 hours will be studying at your own pace with teacher supervision in Guided Independent Learning (GIL).
Classes are divided into two streams: early and late. You will be put into one of these streams for the 5-week period.
- Early: 8.30am - 1.00pm AEST (currently not available).
- Late: 1.00pm - 5.30pm AEST.
We have 9 start dates a year. Check here for our program start dates.
Class tests, group work and class participation help you meet the learning objectives of your program and to monitor your progress in reaching these objectives.
Careers and outcomes
You will receive a certificate upon completion of the course. This will detail the length of study, attendance percentage and your exit level.
Studying General English at QUT College is a great way to help you:
- prepare for further study (e.g. EAP, IELTS, PTE)
- improve your job prospects
- gain confidence in using English
- improve your spoken and written fluency and accuracy
- learn about and practice different types of reading - and the strategies for each
- practice listening to and improve your understanding of native and non-native English speakers
- identify and work on problem areas with your English language proficiency
- expand your vocabulary and grammar
- practice English in a variety of contexts including informal conversations/activities as well as in formalised test situations.
Progression to English for Academic Purposes
From General English you can progress into English for Academic Purposes 1 (EAP 1) or English for Academic Purposes (EAP 2). These programs will prepare you for entry into a Foundation, Diploma or QUT degree programs.
To progress you will need to pass the on-campus EAP entry test with the required score.
- Course code
- CRICOS code
- Kelvin Grove
- 15 weeks full-time
- 15 weeks full-time
- January, February, March, May, June, July, August, October and November
There are no specific entry requirements for this course. You’ll take a placement test on your first day to determine which level of English class you should be studying.
Minimum English language requirements
We offer English language programs to improve your English and help you gain entry to this course.
When you apply for this course, we will recommend which English course you should enrol in.
Your actual fees may vary depending on which units you choose. We review fees annually, and they may be subject to increases.
2023: To Be Announced
2023: To Be Announced
2022: $1,760 per study period
FEE-HELP: loans to help you pay your course fees
You may not have to pay anything upfront if you're eligible for a FEE-HELP loan.