What you'll receive
- a scholarship, indexed annually ($28,597 in 2021). The scholarship for living costs for up to 2 years for masters students and 3 years for PhD students.
You can also apply for:
- a $1,520 relocation allowance
- a $420 (masters by research), or $840 (PhD) thesis allowance after submitting your thesis.
The Australian Government requires you to:
- be a domestic student enrolled in an accredited research degree (HDR course of study) at an Australian higher education provider (HEP)
- not be receiving income from another source to support your general living costs while studying, if that income is greater than 75% of your RTP stipend rate. Income not related to your course of study or income received for you course of study but not for the purposes of supporting general living costs is not to be taken into account.
If you also hold an Australian Government RTP Fees Offset scholarship, you must:
- not be receiving an equivalent award or scholarship from the Commonwealth that's designed to offset research degree (HDR) fees.
How to apply
We have a two-step application process, with an Expression of Interest (EOI) followed by an application if you are invited to apply on the basis of your EOI.
You must have submitted your EOI by by 11:59pm AEST on Wednesday 8 September 2021 to ensure inclusion in scholarship round 1.
- Round 1 is open to students who start their course before 30 June 2022
- Round 2 will open in early 2022, and is for new students who want to start their course between 1 July and 14 December 2022 (EOI submission date to be confirmed).
If you have already submitted an EOI, you'll be considered for a 2022 scholarship if:
- you meet the eligibility criteria
- your research course start date is between 1 July 2021 and 30 June 2022
- you indicated that you want to be considered for a QUT scholarship in your expression of interest.
By 30 July 2021, we'll email all currently enrolled QUT research students who are eligible to apply for a 2022 scholarship in the round. This includes eligible applicants who started by 30 June 2021. The email will outline how to apply.
Applications for current research students will be open from 1-31 August 2021.
What happens next?
Your application will be reviewed by the Graduate Research Centre, and your faculty will select scholarship recipients using faculty criteria available in applying for a research scholarship.
Outcomes will be emailed to applicants from 24 November 2021.
The 2022 rules for this scholarship will be published here in November 2021.
If your scholarship application is successful, you'll need to accept the offer by the response date provided in your offer and begin your research degree before 30 June 2022.
To keep your scholarship, we require you to:
- make satisfactory progress in your studies
- remain studying at QUT
- be enrolled as an internal student
- remain studying full-time, unless under exceptional circumstances. Exceptional circumstances include:
- caring responsibilities for a child
- caring responsibilities for school-aged children with limited access to outside support
- caring responsibilities for an invalid or disabled spouse, child, or parent
- a medical condition, supported by a medical certificate, which limits your ability to study full-time.
- hold another scholarship that is worth more than 75% of the Australian Government Research Training Program (RTP) Stipend (Domestic).
About the scholarship
The Australian Government Research Training Program (RTP) Stipend (Domestic) is a prestigious scholarship, funded by the federal government to provide financial support to exceptional students.
The number of scholarships offered varies from year to year.
Rules for previous years of the Australian Government Research Training Program (RTP) Stipend Domestic) are available for reference:
- 2021 Australian Government Research Training Program (RTP) Stipend (Domestic) rules (PDF file, 329.8 KB)
- 2020 Australian Government Research Training Program (RTP) Stipend (Domestic) rules (PDF file, 304.7 KB).
- 2019 Australian Government Research Training Program (RTP) Stipend (Domestic) rules (PDF file, 211.4 KB).
- 2017-2018 Australian Government Research Training Program (RTP) Stipend (Domestic) rules (PDF file, 407.3 KB)
Rules for previous Australian Postgraduate Award (APA) rounds are available for reference: