- Applications open
- 6 August 2020
- Applications close
- 20 November 2020
What you'll receive
- 10 x Esport scholarships valued at $5,000 paid over one year
Esport Scholarship recipients receive additional benefits including:
- membership to the Tigers Esports Academy Development Program
- access to personal and professional development opportunities including industry esports programs
- access to nutrition and sports psychology services
- membership to the QUT College of Excellence and Elite Athlete Program
- access to QUT's Leadership, Development and Innovation Program.
If your Esport scholarships application is successful and you would like to access these benefits, you will need to register with the Elite Athlete Program once you are an enrolled student at QUT.
To be considered for an Esport Scholarship, applicants must:
- meet academic and eligibility requirements of the course applied for
- be either a commencing or continuing QUT student
- be able to demonstrate abilities to perform and progress within an online esports game environment, specifically within the League of Legends game
- have not received a QUT Esport or QUT Sport Scholarship previously.
In 2021 the QUT Esport Scholarship will be available for aspiring League of Legends players.
As part of the scholarship selection process for Esports, applicants must participate in the QUT performance trial in early February 2021. Trials will be held within the League of Legends game only.
More information, including trial dates, will be distributed to eligible applicants in late 2020.
How to apply
Applicants for the QUT Esport Scholarship are required to verify selection and/or results and achievements via a sporting CV. The CV should provide an overview of events competed at in reverse chronological order (e.g. 2020, 2019, 2018) and include placing/ranking information, copies of team selection letters (on official letterhead) and references from professional esports teams (if applicable).
Applicants must complete on online application. This application can be saved and returned to as many times as necessary until the closing date.
If you have any questions, contact the Scholarships Coordinator.
What happens next?
QUT Esport ensure a transparent selection process for scholarship applicants. A three-phased approach is used for selection which encompasses:
- Phase 1: Initial data collection - the University will assess performance levels (rankings and insights within the League of Legends game) in addition to scholarship documentation (CV and submission questions). Successful applicants out of this initial phase will be asked to take part in phase 2
- Phase 2: Psychometric and team culture assessment - shortlisted applicants will be asked specific questions regarding their gaming and, if applicable, sporting experience
- Phase 3: Top ranking applicants will be invited to participate in an Academy trial which is held at the QUT Gardens Point Esports Arena. Trials run over 2-4 days. The top ranked players after this process will be offered a scholarship and membership to the Tigers Academy.
Shortlisted applicants will be informed of next steps once applications have closed and applications have been assessed.
Only successfully shortlisted applicants will be notified.
- Selected applicants are required to become a member of the Tigers Academy Program which involves actively participating in regular training, trial and competition environments
- If selected, you may be required to represent QUT in the Oceanic Challenger Series (OCS) team in 2021, and/or Intervarsity, national and international representative teams
- Recipients must also comply with our player performance and behavioural standards as set by RIOT Games, QUT and/or professional game developers
- Successful applicants will be expected to engage in the QUT Sport community by attending events, representing QUT, or in a leadership capacity. Representative requirements will be negotiated between the applicant and QUT Sport
- Full terms and conditions will be provided with a scholarship offer.
About the scholarship
We are proud to support developing and elite athletes across a wide range of categories by offering sport scholarships annually for both new and existing QUT students. This includes talented sports and esports athletes who are still developing and progressing in their chosen sport through to high-performance level athletes representing Australia at national and international levels.
Our program is brought together by national high-performance coaches and support staff, digital well-being advocates, industry partners and researchers, providing unrivalled opportunities that are unique to the Australian esports landscape.
For more information please see the 2020 Tigers Academy Prospectus.