- Applications open
- 9 August 2021
- Applications close
- 26 November 2021
What you'll receive
- one of 10 esport scholarships valued at $5,000, paid over one year.
You'll also receive additional benefits including:
- membership to the Tigers Esports Academy Development Program
- access to personal and professional development opportunities including industry esports programs
- access to nutrition and sports psychology services
- membership to the QUT College of Excellence and Elite Athlete Program.
If your scholarship application is successful, you will need to register with the Elite Athlete Program once you are an enrolled student at QUT.
To be considered for an Esport Scholarship, you must:
- meet academic and eligibility requirements of the course applied for
- be either a commencing or continuing QUT student
- be able to demonstrate abilities to perform and progress within an online esports game environment, specifically within the League of Legends game
- have not received a QUT Esport or QUT Sport Scholarship previously.
In 2022 the QUT Esport Scholarship will be available for aspiring League of Legends players.
As part of the scholarship selection process for esports, you must participate in the QUT performance trial in early February 2022. Trials will be held within the League of Legends game only.
More information, including trial dates, will be distributed to eligible applicants in late 2021.
How to apply
Applications are now open and will close 26 November, 2021.
To apply, you must supply a sporting curriculum vitae (CV) to verify selection and any results and achievements. You CV should include:
- an overview of events competed at in reverse chronological order (e.g. 2021, 2020, 2019)
- any placing or ranking information
- copies of team selection letters (on official letterhead)
- references from professional esports teams (if applicable).
Complete the application form
To be considered for this scholarship, you will need to submit your application by the close date.
What happens next?
QUT Esport ensure a transparent selection process for scholarship applicants. A three-phased approach is used for selection, which encompasses:
- Phase 1: initial data collection. The university will assess performance levels (rankings and insights within the League of Legends game) in addition to scholarship documentation (CV and submission questions). If successful in this initial phase, you will be asked to take part in phase 2.
- Phase 2: psychometric and team culture assessment. If shortlisted, you will be asked specific questions regarding their gaming and, if applicable, sporting experience.
- Phase 3: Academy trial. As a top-ranking applicant, you will be invited to participate in an Academy trial, which is held at the QUT Gardens Point Esports Arena. Trials run over 2-4 days. The top ranked players after this process will be offered a scholarship and membership to the Tigers Academy.
If you're shortlisted, you'll be informed of next steps once applications have closed and been assessed.
Only successfully shortlisted applicants will be notified.
- you are required to become a member of the Tigers Academy Program, which involves actively participating in regular training, trial and competition environments.
- you may be required to represent QUT in the Oceanic Challenger Series (OCS) team in 2022, and/or Intervarsity, national and international representative teams.
- you must also comply with our player performance and behavioural standards as set by RIOT Games, QUT and/or professional game developers.
- you will be expected to engage in the QUT Sport community by attending events, representing QUT, or in a leadership capacity. Representative requirements will be negotiated between the applicant and QUT Sport.
About the scholarship
QUT is proud to support developing and elite athletes across a wide range of categories by offering sport scholarships annually for both new and existing QUT students. This includes talented sports and esports athletes who are still developing and progressing in their chosen sport through to high-performance level athletes representing Australia at national and international levels.
Our program is brought together by national high-performance coaches and support staff, digital well-being advocates, industry partners and researchers, providing unrivalled opportunities that are unique to the Australian esports landscape.
For more information see the 2020-2021 Tigers Academy Prospectus (PDF file, 7.2 MB).