Contact us

Step 5: Agree on a supervisor with your faculty

Talk to your faculty

For some faculties, the process for finding a supervisor is slightly different.

Contact your faculty research office to make sure that you know exactly what you need to do:

If you're applying to study in the Faculty of Law and Justice, the Faculty of Education or the QUT Business School, your faculty will organise a supervisory team for you when they assess your application.

If you're applying to study in the Creative Industries Faculty, the Faculty of Health or the Science and Engineering Faculty, you'll need to find a supervisor who works in your area of interest. You should also look at:

  • their specialised teaching and research areas
  • who they're interested in supervising
  • how many students they're currently supervising
  • how many students they've successfully supervised in the past.

Once you've found a supervisor who seems right for you, you'll need to either contact their faculty or contact them directly to arrange a discussion.

I want to work with a supervisor from another institution

To work with a supervisor who is not a QUT staff member, you must have approval from QUT.

Submit an external supervisor memorandum (DOC file, 87.5 KB) with your application.

I want to study externally

You may be able to complete your research degree with QUT while based at another institution. You must have approval from QUT.

Talk to your supervisor about your options for external study.

You must:

With your application submit:


Research Students Centre

RSC manages and supports research students.

  • Level 4
    88 Musk Avenue
    Kelvin Grove QLD 4059
  • Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm

  • Postal address:
    Research Students Centre
    GPO Box 2434
    Brisbane QLD 4001