Our research is seeking to answer the question: 'How can we support human interaction with big data?'
We want to integrate the outstanding capabilities of humans in terms of visual information exploration with the enormous processing power of computers. These elements have the capacity to form a powerful knowledge discovery environment. This research will use datasets from the Queensland Government and the QUT Ecoacoustic research group over multiple years. Other big datasets, such as Amazon’s product review dataset, could also be used.
The project scope and activities will vary based on your level of study. You can expect to:
- undertake a literature review
- frame specific research questions
- design solutions addressing the research questions
- conduct experiments to evaluate your solutions
- analyse and document your results
- disseminate your findings in the form of reports, papers and oral presentations.
The outcomes of this project include:
- novel algorithms
- software prototypes
- reports and/or research papers.
If you're undertaking a VRES project, you're only expected to join our existing research team and modify or evaluate some of our existing algorithms or techniques.
Skills and experience
As the ideal candidate you should have background in any of the following disciplines:
- computer science
- information systems
- data science
- engineering majoring in computer and software systems.
You should also have knowledge and skills in computer programming or data analysis.
You may be eligible to apply for a research scholarship.
Contact the supervisor for more information.