An Indigenous institute has been established at QUT as a central component of QUT’s commitment to Indigenous Australian knowledge, research and education.
The Carumba Institute is a gathering place for Queensland’s Indigenous community, led by Professor Peter Anderson, fostering engagement and partnerships that matter and offering training and employment-enhancing initiatives for Indigenous people.
QUT Vice-Chancellor and President Professor Margaret Sheil said the institute highlights QUT’s commitment to Indigenous Australians as aligned with the university’s strategic plan Blueprint 6.
“It aims to unify and empower QUT’s efforts to build a world-class Indigenous research and education environment,” Professor Sheil said.
She said the university’s existing QUT Indigenous Research and Engagement Unit would form the core of the institute.
The announcement of the Carumba Institute comes after the development of strategic priorities in the Blueprint 6 that aim to address the imbalance inherent in QUT and Aboriginal history.
“The institute will be a world-class Indigenous research and research-led teaching environment. It will build on the essential work already underway between university researchers and Indigenous communities across Australia,” Professor Sheil said.
“It will support the wider teaching and understanding of cultures and have a pivotal role in aligning Indigenous research, learning, teaching and engagement activities across the university.”
Professor Anderson said he was excited about leading the institute and working toward transforming Indigenous Australian learning, teaching and research at QUT.
The institute will:
- Transform Indigenous learning and teaching through embedding Indigenous perspectives in the curriculum
- Build the Indigenous workforce and student numbers at the University while ensuring they have the support they need
- Undertake partnerships and research with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities and organisations
- Increase Indigenous-led research and undertake research projects that matter to Indigenous people and communities
- Ensure Indigenous Australians are a visible component of QUT priorities.