What you'll receive
- a scholarship valued at $7,500 per year for up to four years, paid in instalments of $3,750 each semester.
You must be one of:
- a permanent resident of Australia
- an Australian citizen (or dual citizen)
- a permanent humanitarian visa holder
- a New Zealand citizen.
You must also be:
- from a regional or remote area in Queensland or the Northern Territory
- from a low-income background
- experiencing financial hardship
- enrolled full time in or applying for an undergraduate course and intending to study full time.
Who can't apply
You can't apply if you're a:
- single-unit study student - studying an individual unit at QUT, but not enrolled in a QUT course
- cross-institutional student - enrolled in a course at another university, but studying specific units at QUT and receiving credit towards your course at the other university
- International College (QUTIC) student - studying one of the pathway programs offered by our international college, including foundation courses, university diplomas and English language courses
How to apply
Applications for Semester 1, 2020 are now open.
Completing the application form
To be considered for this scholarship, you need to apply through our Equity Scholarships Scheme.
You only need to submit one application form to be considered for all scholarships under the scheme. Make sure you follow the instructions to supply all relevant supporting documents by the closing date.
What happens next?
We'll assess your application and score it against our selection criteria.
We allocate scholarships based on need. Students with the greatest need will receive the highest value scholarships. There are a limited number of scholarships available.
When will I know the outcome of my application?
If you applied and submitted all supporting documentation by 9am on 25 November 2019, we’ll let you know the outcome by late December 2019.
If you applied and submitted all supporting documentation by 9am on 3 February 2020, we’ll let you know the outcome by the end of week 1 of classes in Semester 1, 2020.
If you applied and submitted all supporting documentation by 9am on 24 February, we’ll let you know the outcome by the end of week 4 of classes in Semester 1, 2020.
You must be enrolled full time in the semester you applied for. Before we pay your scholarship, we'll check your enrolment status to ensure you are still enrolled and eligible.
About the scholarship
The Tim Fairfax AC Regional and Remote Learning Potential Fund Scholarships are for low-income students from regional and remote areas in Queensland and the Northern Territory who are studying or who want to study an undergraduate degree. They have been established by Mr Tim Fairfax AC as a tribute to rural and regional education. These scholarships are intended to be offered as 32 individual named scholarships in perpetuity through the QUT Learning Potential Fund. The scholarships encourage disadvantaged and low-income students from regional and remote areas in Queensland and the Northern Territory to study an undergraduate degree in the faculty of their choice at QUT.
Equity Scholarships Team
- Level 3, C Block
- Room 301
- Kelvin Grove
(Closed public holidays)
- Postal address
- QUT Equity Scholarships
- Victoria Park Rd
- Kelvin Grove, Qld 4059