- Applications open
- 9 August 2021
- Applications close
- 5 November 2021
What you'll receive
- one of eight $24,000 scholarships ($4,000 per semester) to be paid across three (3) years regardless of the degree undertaken. This is paid as a stipend after the HECS-HELP census date of each semester.
These scholarships are to support budding student entrepreneurs and engage their passion for entrepreneurial action in the for-profit or for-purpose space.
Of these eight scholarships:
- one is the John Stainton Productions Budding Entrepreneurship Scholarship to be awarded to a budding entrepreneur who will strengthen the talent base of QUT’s emerging creative professionals, with a drive and passion for the pursuit of entrepreneurial success
- one is funded by loans.com.au to support a female budding entrepreneur
- one is funded by Doctor John Puttick to a budding entrepreneur who demonstrates the criteria for the award and comes from a background underrepresented in the entrepreneurial ecosystem
- one is funded by Skedulo to encourage diversity in the entrepreneurial ecosystem to a budding entrepreneur who demonstrates the criteria for the award and who is aligned to the Skedulo core values of Caring First, Fearless Together, Boldly Innovative, Customer Driven and No Shenanigans
- four are funded by QUT.
In addition to financial support, we aim to give successful applicants a unique and engaging learning experience by giving them access to the QUT entrepreneurial community, experiential study options, and personalised career, entrepreneurial planning and review processes with an advisor.
Other benefits may also include:
- access to co-working in the QUT foundry spaces
- opportunity to earn credit for operating your venture at QUT
- application to accelerate your venture by attending an MIT program (as part of the MIT Sloan School of Management - QUT Business School Agreement)
- Entry into QUT's College of Excellence
- possibilities of representing QUT Entrepreneurship through the Student Ambassador Program
- opportunity to share your experience widely including through QUT Entrepreneurship social media channels.
To receive one of the scholarships you must:
- be an Australian or New Zealand citizen, permanent resident, or hold a permanent humanitarian visa
- be starting university study for the first time
- be graduating Year 12 in 2021 or have graduated Year 12 in 2020
- have placed QUT as their first preference on their QTAC application
- have received a QTAC offer for a full-time place at QUT
- be making a positive difference through entrepreneurial action such as establishing and operating an entrepreneurial venture for profit or for purpose
- be willing to work closely with a QUT Entrepreneurship advisor each semester to progress and review your action planning which will include participating in relevant entrepreneurial capability and career development programs
- meet the relevant aims of one of the eight scholarships on offer
- be prepared to enrol in the four-unit Entrepreneurship minor (if not studying a double degree)
- be prepared to enrol in at least one relevant experiential learning unit where credit can be earned for your entrepreneurial action.
How to apply
Applications are now open and will close 5 November, 2021.
There is a two-stage application process.
In Stage one you must complete an online application and provide:
- a written 800-word statement on 'My passion to be an entrepreneur in driven by...'
- a three minute recorded video pitch on 'University study at QUT will prepare me for the challenges of being an entrepreneur by...'
- a letter of reference from a mentor or teacher who can attest to your passion
- statements and letters of reference should be saved as one PDF document.
All documents should be completed before starting your online application.
Stage two requires you:
- to attend a virtual or in person panel interview (interviews with shortlisted applicants will commence the week beginning 15 November 2021)
Complete the application form
To be considered for this scholarship, you will need to submit your application by the close date.
What happens next?
QUT Entrepreneurship will make the Budding Entrepreneur Scholarship offers by mid-December to those who have completed a scholarship application by the due date and placed a QUT degree as their first QTAC course preference. Scholarship offers are contingent upon admission into QUT.
You will only be notified if you are successful in being offered a scholarship.
The expectation is that the scholarship will be held for a maximum of three years. However, to maintain the scholarship you must:
- remain enrolled in your QUT degree with a minimum study load of 24 credit points each semester
- pass all your units with a minimum overall grace point average (GPA) of 4.00
- participate in capability development and mentoring opportunities made available by QUT Entrepreneurship
- demonstrate your commitment to achieving your entrepreneurial ambitions by engaging in at least two meetings per semester with your QUT Entrepreneurship advisor as part of a performance planning and review possess which includes supplying written progress reports
- undertake the entrepreneurial minor and/or Work Integrated Learning and experiential learning units where these can be negotiated into the study plan
- submit written progress reports each semester to email@example.com for continued payment. These reports must first be approved by the Pro Vice-Chancellor (Entrepreneurship).
- defer your course and scholarship offer for six months.
- hold any other QUT merit or academic scholarships. You may hold an Equity Scholarship. If you have any questions about holding other scholarships, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- defer your scholarship for 12 months. If you defer your course for longer than six months you may reapply for the scholarship, provided you still meet the eligibility requirements.