- Applications open
- 6 August 2020
- Applications close
- 9 November 2020
What you'll receive
To support budding student entrepreneurs, QUT Entrepreneurship offers:
- 2x $24,000 scholarships ($4,000 per semester)
- Paid across three (3) years regardless of the degree undertaken.
This scholarship seeks to attract innovative individuals to QUT and engage their passion for entrepreneurial action in the for-profit or for-purpose space. In addition to financial support is access to the QUT entrepreneurial community, experiential study options and personalised career and entrepreneurial planning and review processes with an advisor. We aim to ensure you have a unique and engaging learning experience at QUT and find a balance between investing in your future with higher education and developing your entrepreneurial capabilities.
Other benefits may also include:
- access to co-working in the QUT foundry spaces;
- opportunity to earn credit for operating your venture at QUT;
- application to accelerate your venture by attending an MIT program (as part of the MIT Sloan School of Management - QUT Business School Agreement;
- possibilities of representing QUT Entrepreneurship through the Student Ambassador Program;
- Opportunity to share your experience widely including through QUT Entrepreneurship social media channels.
To receive one of the scholarships you must:
- be making a positive difference through entrepreneurial action such as establishing and operating an entrepreneurial venture for profit or for purpose;
- be willing to work closely with a QUT Entrepreneurship advisor each semester to progress and review your action planning which will include participating in relevant entrepreneurial capability and career development programs;
- be an Australian citizen or permanent resident, or hold a permanent humanitarian visa;
- be starting university study for the first time having graduated from secondary education within the last 12 months;
- have placed QUT as their first preference on their QTAC application;
- have received a QTAC offer for a full-time place at QUT;
- be prepared to enrol in the four-unit Entrepreneurship minor; and
- be prepared to enrol in at least one relevant experiential learning unit where credit can be earned for your entrepreneurial action.
How to apply
There is a two-stage application process.
Stage one requires:
- a written 800-word statement on 'My passion to be an entrepreneur in driven by...';
- a three minute recorded video pitch on 'University study at QUT will prepare me for the challenges of being an entrepreneur by...';
- a letter of reference from a mentor or teacher who can attest to your passion;
- statements and letters of reference should be saved as one PDF document. All documents should be completed prior to starting your online application.
Stage two requires:
- shortlisted applicants to attend a virtual or in person panel interview
(interviews with shortlisted applicants will commence the week beginning 16 November 2020).
What happens next?
QUT Entrepreneurship will make the Budding Entrepreneur Scholarship offers by mid-December to those who have completed a scholarship application by the due date and placed a QUT degree as their first QTAC course preference. Scholarship offers are contingent upon admission into QUT.
Only students who are successful in being offered a scholarship will be notified.
The expectation is that the scholarship will be held for a maximum of three years. However, to maintain the scholarship you must:
- remain enrolled in your QUT degree with a minimum study load of 24 credit points each semester;
- earn pass grades in all units in which you are enrolled, with a minimum overall GPA of 4.0;
- participate in capability development and mentoring opportunities made available by QUT Entrepreneurship;
- demonstrate your commitment to achieving your entrepreneurial ambitions by engaging in at least two meetings per semester with your QUT Entrepreneurship advisor as part of a performance planning and review possess which includes supplying written progress reports;
- undertake the entrepreneurial minor and/or WIL and experiential learning units where these can be negotiated into the study plan;
- submit written progress reports each semester to firstname.lastname@example.org for continued payment. These reports must first be approved by the Executive Director, QUT Entrepreneurship.
- defer your course and therefore scholarship offer for six months only.
- hold any other QUT merit or academic scholarships
- defer your scholarship for 12 months. If you defer your course for 12 months, and provided you have not undertaken any university study in the meantime, you must reapply for the scholarship.