What you'll receive
- a scholarship, indexed annually ($27,596 in 2019). The scholarship is tax exempt, and is for living costs for up to 2 years for masters students and 3 years for PhD students
You can also apply for:
- a $1,520 relocation allowance (domestic students only).
- have a 4-year bachelor degree
- be studying or applying for a PhD, research masters, or professional doctorate
- be of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent and provide a confirmation of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent form stamped with a common seal belonging to a registered organisation. Find out more about confirmation of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent via the Australian Institute for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies website.
How to apply
You must register your interest for an IPRA scholarship when you apply for your course by completing the 'Scholarship application' section of the research degree application form. Indicate on your application that you wish to be considered for an IPRA scholarship.
What happens next?
If your application is successful, you will be notified within 4-6 weeks of receipt of your application.
To keep your scholarship, you must:
- complete your study at QUT
- be enrolled as an internal student
- remain studying full-time, unless under exceptional circumstances. Exceptional circumstances include:
- caring responsibilities for a child
- caring responsibilities for school-aged children with limited access to outside support
- caring responsibilities for an invalid or disabled spouse, child, or parent
- a medical condition, supported by a medical certificate, which limits your ability to study full-time
- make satisfactory progress in your studies.
- hold another scholarship that is worth more than 75% of the IPRA.
Your scholarship will be tax-free if you're studying full-time. If you're studying part-time, your scholarship can be taxed.
Rules for previous years of the Indigenous Postgraduate Research Award are available for reference:
- 2013 Indigenous Postgraduate Research Award rules (PDF file, 69.1 KB)
- 2014 Indigenous Postgraduate Research Award rules (PDF file, 70.0 KB)
- 2015 Indigenous Postgraduate Research Award rules (PDF file, 70.3 KB)
- 2016 Indigenous Postgraduate Research Award rules (PDF file, 170.2 KB)
- 2017 Indigenous Postgraduate Research Award rules (PDF file, 168.2 KB)
- 2018 Indigenous Postgraduate Research Award rules (PDF file, 144.3 KB)
About the scholarship
We provide financial support to Australian Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander research students through the Indigenous Postgraduate Research Award (IPRA).