Future students and Current students
All study areas
Of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent
Australian or New Zealand
What you'll receive
- a scholarship, indexed annually ($26,682 in 2017). The scholarship is tax exempt, and is for living costs for up to 2 years for masters students and 3 years for PhD students
You can also apply for:
- a $1,520 relocation allowance (domestic students only).
- have a 4-year bachelor degree
- be studying or applying for a PhD, research masters, or professional doctorate
- declare to be an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander.
How to apply
Apply for a research course by 30 September and indicate on your application that you want to be considered for a scholarship as part of our annual scholarship round.
You'll be considered for all scholarships you're eligible for.
If you're currently enrolled in a research masters, PhD or professional doctorate at QUT, you must apply online through HiQ during our annual scholarship round between 1 September and 11.59pm on 30 September in any year.
You'll need to include an up-to-date curriculum vitae (CV) outlining your research achievements (i.e. publications).
What happens next?
We'll assess applications and make offers in December.
If your application is successful, you'll need to accept the offer within 3 weeks. We expect you to begin your research degree early in the following year.
Scholarship payments for enrolled students begin on 1 January.
To keep your scholarship, you must:
- complete your study at QUT
- remain studying full-time, unless under exceptional circumstances. Exceptional circumstances include:
- caring responsibilities for a child
- caring responsibilities for school-aged children with limited access to outside support
- caring responsibilities for an invalid or disabled spouse, child, or parent
- a medical condition, supported by a medical certificate, which limits your ability to study full-time
- make satisfactory progress in your studies.
- hold another scholarship that is worth more than 75% of the IPRA.
Your scholarship will be tax-free if you're studying full-time. If you're studying part-time, your scholarship can be taxed.
About the scholarship
We provide financial support to Australian Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander research students through the Indigenous Postgraduate Research Award (IPRA). We usually offer one IPRA each year.
Science and Engineering Faculty: + 61 7 3138 2932
All other faculties: +61 7 3138 4923
- +61 7 3138 1304
- Level 4, 88 Musk Avenue
- Kelvin Grove
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
- Postal address
- Research Students Centre
- GPO Box 2434
- Brisbane QLD 4001