Canadian Federal and Provincial Student Loan Programs

The Canadian federal and provincial governments jointly administer student financial assistance through the Canada Student Loans Program (CSLP).

QUT does not administer or calculate eligibility for financial aid for Canadian students. All decisions concerning eligibility are made by the granting body. It is the student's responsibility to ensure they can cover the full cost of tuition and living expenses for the full duration of their studies.

  • QUT is a recognised institution in the CSLP and QUT’s school code, VUBA (Gardens Point and Kelvin Grove campuses), should be used when completing your CSLP paperwork.
  • Make sure you apply early for your funding. If starting at QUT in February, apply in November or December of the previous year. If starting at QUT in July, apply in April or May of that same year.
  • Students from British Columbia and Ontario should complete the British Columbia Appendix 3 form or the Ontario OSAP Program Information Form.
  • The University will confirm program information and enrolment details for Canadian students. All forms should be forwarded to for completion.
  • It is the student’s responsibility to ensure all student fees are paid by the due date. Refer to Key dates and academic calendar - QUT Students

Types of loans

Federal Student Loans (Canada Student Loans)

Federal Student Loans are interest-free, full-time student loans. The Canadian government will pay the interest on your Canada Student Loan while you are studying full-time. You must confirm your student status at the end of each Canadian academic year.

Repayment begins six months after you have completed your studies or have stopped being a full-time student. Interest on your loan accrues from the time you stop being a full-time student. Please visit the National Student Loans Service Centre (NSLSC) website for further information.

Provincial loans

Canadian students may also be eligible for a full-time student loan from the province or territory where you live. Eligibility for both federal and provincial loans is assessed using a single application form, but each program may have different requirements. Provincial loans vary by province.

For details specific, please contact your student financial assistance office in your province. Please note that residents of Ontario will receive only one loan when they apply for federal and provincial student loan funding.

Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA) forms

If you are claiming educational expenses from your Canadian taxes, the CRA will request that you submit a form, signed by QUT. Eligible students should forward the TL11A Tuition Education & Textbook Amounts Certificate - University Outside Canada form to QUT for completion.