Applying for your visa

When your acceptance is finalised, we will issue you your electronic confirmation of enrolment (CoE) document. You can then:

  • apply for your visa
  • travel to Brisbane
  • attend orientation
  • start your studies at QUT.

How do I organise my visa?

Use your CoE to apply for your student visa through the Department of Home Affairs.

The Department of Home Affairs website can tell you what supporting documents you need to accompany your application. Once you have gathered these documents, you can apply for your visa online through the ImmiAccount application system.

If you are bringing your children to Australia, you must provide evidence that you are making arrangements for them to attend school while in Australia.

Visa assessment

Your application for a visa will be assessed by the Department of Home Affairs. In some countries, it might take a long time to process your visa, so make sure you leave plenty of time to apply.

Find more information about visa assessment processes on the Department of Home Affairs website.

Under 18 years old

If QUT is arranging appropriate accommodation or guardianship for you, we will issue a confirmation of appropriate accommodation/welfare (CAAW) with your CoE. You must have appropriate accommodation and guardianship organised before you accept our offer and before Department of Home Affairs will issue you your visa.

Under 18 Supervision Program

If you're an international student under 18 years of age, you'll also need to apply for our supervision program. To meet the requirements for your student visa, you must either be placed in an approved homestay or live with a parent, guardian or relative until you turn 18.

Under 18 Supervision Program application form (PDF file, 461.4 KB)

More about your visa requirements

Where can I stay?

You must be living with a guardian or caregiver who meets the Department of Home Affair's standards.  This can be:

  • a parent
  • a person who has legal custody of you
  • an approved relative.

If you are not living with any of these people, you must stay at a QUT approved acommodation for students under the age of 18.

QUT-approved under-18 accommodation

We work with accommodation providers to ensure that great care is provided to students under the age of 18.

Each of the approved accommodation options offers private rooms, great facilities and a secure environment, and all are located in or near the Brisbane CBD.

Explore the options for approved accommodation

Email for more information.

Policy and procedures

Make sure you understand your rights and responsibilities as a student.

Under 18 international student policy and procedures (PDF file, 115.9 KB)

Travelling to Brisbane

From 15 December 2021, fully vaccinated eligible visa holders, including international student visa holders, can travel to and from Australia without needing to applying for a travel exemption.

We recommend you review the following resources to help plan your travel:

Once we have confirmed your acceptance, you will need to start preparing for your travel to Brisbane. We recommend that you arrive 2 weeks before your course starts so that you have enough time to find accommodation and settle in. If travel restrictions prevent you from arriving for the start of semester, check if your program is available to study online.

Once you arrive in Brisbane make sure you notify us of your address.

We have an optional airport reception service that can pick you up from the airport when you arrive.

We offer an accommodation service and we can help you find somewhere to live.

Pre-departure briefings

Our international student mentors organise pre-departure briefings in several countries. This is a great opportunity for you to meet a current QUT student and learn more about living in Brisbane.

We'll email you details of pre-departure briefings towards the start of semester.