The term food literacy has been empirically for adults, but not for children. It is likely that the definition would differ for children (including adolescents). Possible research projects in this area include but are not limited to:
- investigating children's role in feeding themselves, in particular the variables that impact on this; and diet quality and food choice pathways that children use, the impact of economic disadvantage, culture, gender, age, geography
- defining and conceptualising food literacy for children
- conceptualising food literacy by those developing it in children e.g. teachers, curriculum writers, parents
- children as contemporary eaters vs future eaters
- optimal models for the development of food literacy in children.
Contact the supervisor for more information.