What is the IDTC?
The Australian Technology Network’s Industry Doctoral Training Centre (IDTC) is an innovative Australia-wide industry research training program focused on providing solutions to real industry challenges. This unique program combines cutting-edge theory and traditional Masters and PhD research training with professional and broad technical skills required by industry from diverse sectors including commercial organisations, Government, research organisations, and not-for-profit sectors.
The Australian Technology Network brings together five of the most innovative and enterprising universities in the nation: QUT, University of Technology Sydney, RMIT University, University of South Australia and Curtin University. Our commitment to deliver practical results through real-world research increasingly makes us industry’s partner of choice. We are also the leading participants in Australia’s Cooperative Research Centres linking government, industry and researchers.
How is it different?
The goal of the IDTC is to increase the national research base in Mathematical Sciences — an area acknowledged by industry suffering from a skills shortage.
The program's unique features:
- The research will originate from industry not academia.
- The student may be a present employee of the company - identified for upgrading of technical and managerial skills.
- The company will own all intellectual property generated by the research.
- The program will contain a considerable coursework and seminar presentation components designed to foster and network the student cohort in addition to skills training.
- The student will spend a significant amount of time working at the company site of the industry partner.
Benefits for students
On completion of the program students will:
- be part of a new generation of highly employable researchers
- have expertise in a wide range of leadership and management skills
- be ready for careers in academe or industry.
In the United Kingdom, Doctoral Training Centres are described as delivering the MBAs of the future.
Benefits for industry partners
Our partners form a collaborative partnership with a highly motivated and skilled PhD student or students, with skills in mathematical sciences, ready to address your business challenge in research.
PhD students are specifically chosen for their focus on industry-related research projects and future industry-based employment.
Industry Doctoral Training Centre
- Phone: 3138 2857
- Int. phone: +61 7 3138 2857
- Postal address:
ATN IDTC (Mathematics and Statistics)
Level 6, O Block, 2 George St
Brisbane QLD 4000