Faculty of Business & Law,
Office of the Executive Dean, Business & Law
BiographyProfessor Rosalind Mason is an Adjunct Professor in the Faculty of Law, having previously held positions as a Professor of Insolvency & Restructuring Law and Head of the Law School. Rosalind holds Bachelors’ degrees and a Doctoral degree from the University of Queensland (UQ) and a Masters degree in law from the University of Sydney. In 2003, the University of Queensland awarded her a Dean’s Commendation for Outstanding Research Higher Degree Thesis for her doctoral dissertation on ‘Insolvency and Private International Law: Principal Interests in the Resolution of Multistate Insolvency Issues’. As a scholar, Rosalind has specialised in cross-border insolvency law. In 2006 she was invited by Treasury to be a member of the Insolvency Law Advisory Group on changes to Australia’s Corporate Insolvency Laws, which included domestic adoption of the UNCITRAL Model Law on Cross-border Insolvency. In 2010, she was invited to join an expert group established by Australian Treasury and the New Zealand Department of Economic Development to work on enhancements to trans-Tasman cross-border insolvency arrangements. In 2013, she led a QUT research project on the ALI-III Transnational Insolvency: Global Principles for Cooperation in International Insolvency Cases for the Australian Academy of Law. The Federal Court of Australia has also invited her to serve as a panelist on cross-border insolvency for national conferences. She has worked closely with law and accounting professional bodies with an interest in insolvency practice for some thirty years. Rosalind was Chair of the Academics' Group of INSOL International from 2015-2019. She was also a foundation member of the Course Advisory Group for the INSOL Global Insolvency Practice Course; and a member of the Course Core Committee. She is a member, by nomination, of the International Insolvency Institute, which awarded her its 2019 Founder's Award for her substantial contribution to the work if III. In 2017, Rosalind initiated the Ian Fletcher International Insolvency Law Moot, with the support of Foundation Sponsors, QUT Faculty of Law, INSOL International and the International Insolvency Institute. Rosalind was one of the initial Australian members of the Asian Business Law Institute Advisory Body. Rosalind has presented and published nationally and internationally in the areas of cross-border insolvency law and Australian consumer bankruptcy law. She is member of the editorial advisory boards of the International Insolvency Review, the Nottingham Business and Insolvency Law e-Journal and the Insolvency Law Journal, having been General Editor of the latter from 1997-2006 and co-General Editor from 2017-2019. Rosalind has had a long-term interest in the scholarship of teaching and learning in law at tertiary level. In 1989, she was awarded the annual University of Southern Queensland (USQ - then Darling Downs Institute of Advanced Education) Award for Excellence in Teaching. In the early 1990s when national teaching grants were first becoming available, she led a grant with USQ colleagues on the ‘Development of Multimedia Instructional Materials in Law’ funded by the Committee for the Advancement of University Teaching. During 2009-2011, she led the QUT team working on an Australian Learning and Teaching Council (ALTC) Grant on ‘Professional Entry Courses in Accounting and Law’ being conducted by RMIT University (lead institution), QUT and Curtin University. Rosalind has extensive experience in senior management and leadership positions. From April 2007 to July 2014, Rosalind was Head of the QUT School of Law. Prior to joining QUT, Rosalind held the positions of Head of the USQ Law Department and Deputy Dean of their Business Faculty. In 2012, she was Acting Executive Dean of the QUT Faculty of Law. She has been invited to be a member of a number of external review panels in the tertiary sector. In 2006, Professor Mason was a State Finalist in the Professional Manager of the Year Category, Australian Institute of Management Awards. From 2008 - 2012, Rosalind served as the Chair of the Australasian Law Academics Association (ALAA, then known as the Australasian Law Teachers Association), an association of more than one thousand law academics in Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific.
- Adjunct Professor
Faculty of Business & Law,
Office of the Executive Dean, Business & Law
Cross-border Insolvency Law and Practice, International Insolvency and Restructuring, International Commercial Law, Bankruptcy and Insolvency Law, Consumer Bankruptcy, CPLRC
Field of Research code, Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC), 2008
- PhD (University of Queensland)
- LLM (University of Sydney)
- LLB (Hons) (University of Queensland)
- BA (University of Queensland)
Professional memberships and associations
- Fellow, Australian Academy of Law
- Honorary Life Member, Australasian Law Teachers Association
- Member, INSOL International
- Member, International Insolvency Institute
At QUT, Professor Mason taught into both the undergraduate and postgraduate law programs - specialising in Insolvency Law and Professional Practice; and Cross-border Insolvency. She also taught into the Business School's postgraduate program in International Business and Law. She has also led major curriculum development projects - the law degree initiative at her former university and a revision of the Bachelor of Laws and associated double degree programs at QUT. She also led the introduction of the QUT Applied Law program for graduates in other disciplines, including business and health / allied health fields. Rosalind has also supervised doctoral candidates to completion.
- Mason R, (2008) Cross-border insolvency law: Where private international law and insolvency law meet. In P Omar, International Insolvency Law: Themes and Perspectives, Ashgate Publishing Limited, pp. 27-60.
- Mason R, (2012) Cross-border insolvency and legal transnationalisation, International Insolvency Review, 21 (2), pp. 105-126.
- Jackson S, Mason R, (2014) Developments in court to court communications in international insolvency cases, University of New South Wales Law Journal, 37 (2), pp. 507-543.
- Wellard M, Mason R, (2015) Global rules on conflict-of-laws matters in international insolvency cases: An Australian perspective, Insolvency Law Journal, 23 (1), pp. 5-30.
- Deane F, Mason R, (2016) The UNCITRAL model law on cross-border insolvency and the rule of law, International Insolvency Review, 25 (2), pp. 138-159.
- Howell N, Mason R, (2015) Reinforcing stigma or delivering a fresh start: Bankruptcy and future engagement in the workforce, University of New South Wales Law Journal, 38 (4), pp. 1529-1574.
- Mason R, O'Mahony S, (2014) Perspectives on Australian bankruptcy law through the prism of the World Bank report on the treatment of the insolvency of natural persons, QUT Law Review, 14 (3), pp. 3-28.
- Mason R, (2015) Insolvency academics contributing to the review of insolvency laws: An Australian perspective, Nottingham Insolvency and Business Law e-Journal, 3, pp. 263-284.