We provide a range of programs supporting and developing the learning of Chinese language and culture within Queensland primary and secondary schools. These programs support registered teachers and are guided by the Queensland curriculum.
We support Queensland schools that host Confucius Classrooms, where highly dedicated professional teachers teach Chinese language and culture, consistent with the Queensland school curriculum. These schools have a strong commitment to achieving global citizenship skills for students through their Chinese language programs. They also play a leadership role in their regions and school catchment areas for building sustainable Chinese language programs.
Confucius Classroom schools
We have formal partnerships with 10 Confucius Classrooms located in metropolitan and regional schools across Queensland:
- Corinda State High School (2019), Brisbane
- Cairns State High School (2014), Cairns
- Merrimac State High School (2014), Gold Coast
- Yeronga State High School (2014), Brisbane
- Kedron State High School (2013), Brisbane
- Centenary State High School (2011), Brisbane
- Cleveland District State High School (2011), Redlands
- Coomera Anglican College (2011), Gold Coast
- Urangan State High School (2011), Hervey Bay
- William Ross State High School, (2011), Townsville.
We also support other affiliated schools (Network Schools) throughout Queensland:
- Queensland Academy Creative Industries (2019), Brisbane
- Brisbane State High School (2019), Brisbane
- Clayfield College (2020), Brisbane
- Sheldon College (2020), Redlands
- Varsity College (2020), Gold Coast
- Charters Towers School of Distance Education (2018), Far North Queensland
- Maryborough Special School (2019), Maryborough
We host the Queensland Division of the Chinese Bridge (Hanyu Qiao) Chinese Proficiency Competition each year for Queensland secondary school students. Winners of this competition may be offered the opportunity to compete in or observe the semi-finals and finals in China.
Alongside the Chinese Bridge competition, we also host an additional speaking competition for Queensland primary and secondary school students attending our Confucius Classroom and Network schools in Brisbane metropolitan and Queensland regions including Townsville and Cairns.
We organise an annual three-day immersion program designed for school students, learning Chinese language and culture, at senior levels. Since 2010 to 2019, several hundred students have participated in a live-in program of unique Chinese cultural content, Chinese language learning and team building.
The program is developed and delivered by our professional staff and Queensland registered teachers of Chinese language, with supervised support by visiting teachers from the Jiangsu Province, China.
Collaborations with teachers and school leaders
Throughout the year, we provide professional educators with learning and development programs. We provide these programs for registered teachers of Chinese and also offer a unique program in China for school leaders.
Study tour for Queensland school leaders
In association with the Queensland Department of Education and Training (DET), we provide the opportunity for selected principals, deputy principals and heads of department to attend the Queensland School Leaders Study Tour of China. During an 11-day program held annually in the school holidays, the delegation:
- observes classrooms at schools in Jiangsu Province
- provides exchange opportunities with counterparts in China
- visits historical and cultural places in Shanghai, Nanjing and Beijing.
We recognise the excellence of teachers of Chinese in our Confucius Classroom and Network schools through our Confucius Institute at QUT CIQ Teacher Awards.
Teachers are nominated for the awards by other registered teachers. The awards are presented at an end-of-year celebration hosted by the institute. The event is also a networking and social opportunity for teachers of Chinese.