Dr Phoebe Macrossan
This person does not currently hold a position at QUT.
BiographyDr Phoebe Macrossan has a Bachelor of Journalism/Bachelor of Arts from the University of Queensland, as well as a Bachelor of Arts (Hons) and a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph. D.) from the University of New South Wales. Her doctoral thesis examined the development of the American screen musical across film, television, music video and YouTube in the twenty-first century.
Dr Macrossan's research interests are evolving digital screen formats and debates, with a focus on the intersections between popular music, screen studies and new media. She is a member of the Screen Studies Association of Australia and Aotearoa/New Zealand (SSAAANZ) and a co-founder of the Sydney Screen Studies Network (SSSN). She has published on the Beatles jukebox musical Across the Universe, on musical television series Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and on Beyoncé's visual albums.
Dr Macrossan is currently a research associate on two projects at the Digital Media Research Centre:
film, screen, television, musicals, music video, celebrity studies, popular music
Film, Television and Digital Media, Communication and Media Studies, Cultural Studies
Field of Research code, Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC), 2008
- Doctor of Philosophy (University of New South Wales)
- Bachelor of Arts (Hons) (University of New South Wales)
- Bachelor of Journalism/Bachelor of Arts (University of Queensland)
Professional memberships and associations
Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
Member of the International Association for the Study of Popular Music
Postgraduate Executive Member of the Screen Studies Association of Australia and Aotearoa/New Zealand (SSAAANZ), from 2016 – 2018.
President and co-founder of the Sydney Screen Studies Network, from 2015-2017.
Unit Coordinator: KPB315 Global Screen Studies
Lecturer and Tutor: KPB113 Screen Text Analysis
Lecturer and Tutor: KPB121 Screen Business
Lecturer and Tutor: KPB325 Screen Issues
Tutor: CYD104 Managing Social Media
- Macrossan P, (2018) Intimacy, authenticity and 'worlding' in Beyonce's Star Project. In S Loy, S Bennett & J Rickwood, Popular music, stars and stardom, ANU Press, pp. 137-152.
- Macrossan P, (2018) A double-layered nostalgia: 'The Sixties,' the Iraq War and The Beatles in Julie Taymor's Across the Universe (2007), Screening the Past, 43, pp. 1-13.