Dr Peter Collins
This person does not currently hold a position at QUT.
BiographyDr Peter Collins is an Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD) and Senior Lecturer in Nutrition and Dietetics where he leads the teaching of Medical Nutrition Therapy. Peter is the Course Coordinator for the XN43 Bachelor of Nutrition Science, XN44 Bachelor of Nutrition & Dietetics and the double degree IX70 Bachelor of Media & Communication/Bachelor of Nutrition Science. Dr Collins completed his PhD in the Faculty of Medicine, at the University of Southampton in the UK (June 2013). His research investigated the effectiveness of nutritional support in the treatment of disease-related malnutrition in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD). Peter has presented his research at numerous national and international conferences. He is on the editorial board of the Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics and regularly reviews for several nutrition journals. Peter has a particular interest in the clinical and cost-effectiveness of nutrition and dietetic interventions in the management of disease-related malnutrition. Dr Collins has published 6 invited book chapters and 8 publications (Impact factor from 6.926 to 2.583). He is a visiting research dietitian at Princess Alexandra Hospital, Brisbane.
Clinical Nutrition, Clinical Research, Nutrition Support, Nutrition and Dietetics
Nutrition and Dietetics
Field of Research code, Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC), 2008
- PhD (Clinical Nutrition) (University of Southampton)
- Bachelor of Science in Dietetics (Hons) (University of Plymouth)
- Bachelor of Science in Applied Sports Science (Hons) (University of Glamorgan)
Professional memberships and associations
- Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD)
- Member of the Dietitians Association of Australia (DAA)
- The European Society for Clinical Nutrition and Metabolism (ESPEN)
- XNB351 Medical Nutrition Therapy 1 (12 CP, Sem-1)
- XNB354 Medical Nutrition Therapy 2 (12 CP, Sem-2)
Other responsibilities: Course Coordinator:
- XN43 Bachelor of Nutrition Science (3 years)
- XN44 Bachelor of Nutrition & Dietetics (4 years)
- IX70 Bachelor of Media and Communication/Bachelor of Nutrition Science (4 years, double degree)
- Hoong J, Ferguson M, Hukins C, Collins P, (2017) Economic and operational burden associated with malnutrition in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, Clinical Nutrition, 36 (4), pp. 1105-1109.
- Hogan D, Lan L, Do T, Gallegos D, Collins P, (2017) Nutritional status of Vietnamese outpatients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics, 30 (1), pp. 83-89.
- Ness S, Hickling D, Bell J, Collins P, (2018) The pressures of obesity: The relationship between obesity, malnutrition and pressure injuries in hospital inpatients, Clinical Nutrition, 37 (5), pp. 1569-1574.
- Reeves A, Tran K, Collins P, (2016) Nutrition during noninvasive ventilation: Clinical determinants and key practical recommendations. In AM Esquinas, Noninvasive mechanical ventilation: Theory, equipment, and clinical applications, Springer, pp. 203-207.
- Collins P, Elia M, Kurukulaaratchy R, Stratton R, (2016) The influence of deprivation on malnutrition risk in outpatients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), Clinical Nutrition, 37 (1), pp. 144-148.
- Hanna K, Collins P, (2015) Relationship between living alone and food and nutrient intake, Nutrition Reviews, 73 (9), pp. 594-611.
- Collins P, Weekes C, (2014) Respiratory disease, Manual of dietetic practice (5th Edition), pp. 375-384.
- Collins P, Marinos E, (2013) The lung, Clinical nutrition, 2nd Edition, pp. 266-275.
- Collins P, Elia M, Stratton R, (2013) Nutritional support and functional capacity in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis, Respirology, 18 (4), pp. 616-629.
- Collins P, Stratton R, Elia M, (2012) Nutritional support in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis, American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 95 (6), pp. 1385-1395.