Dr Oksana Zelenko
This person does not currently hold a position at QUT.
BiographyDr Oksana Zelenko presently holds the role of Director, Research Engagement and Impact, with QUT's Creative Industries Faculty. Until recently she was Discipline Leader heading up several design departments, including Industrial Design, Interaction Design, Visual Communication and Fashion at QUT School of Design. Dr Zelenko is a design academic and researcher specializing in applications of participatory design for eHealth. Her area of expertise is in interaction and visual design for e-health applications with a specific focus on using participatory and co-design methods for design, development and evaluation of interactive health promoting technologies promoting youth mental health and wellbeing. She is co-editor of Design and Ethics: Reflections on Practice (with Emma Felton and Suzi Vaughan) published by Routledge. Dr Zelenko has had a leading role in design research across a series of national and international projects, resulting in a wide range of novel technologies, ranging from mobile health apps to education and capacity-building platforms, contributing as part of large transdisciplinary teams. Oksana has produced a report on the potential of digital media to support youth mental health for Queensland Health and QUT Resilient Children and Communities Project (2002-2006). In 2010, Oksana was the invited speaker on the potential of digital media to support community resilience in pre- and post-disaster management at the national launch of Volunteering Queensland’s Disaster Readiness Index. Oksana’s broader practice includes the design and evaluation of interactive educational programmes for cross-cultural training of medical staff in remote regions across the Pacific, development of interactive counselling modules for Queensland Government and ongoing design consultancy in the not-for-profit sector. Oksana has presented the outcomes of her research nationally and internationally.
Design Practice and Management
Field of Research code, Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC), 2008
- Doctor of Philosophy (Queensland University of Technology)
- Bachelor of Arts (Communication Design) with Distinction (Queensland University of Technology)
- Bachelor of Creative Industries (First Class Honours) (Queensland University of Technology)
- Over the past ten years I have taught Interactive and Visual Design (IVD) across UG and PG courses in Creative Industries, IT, Business and Education Faculties
- From 2010-2012 I Co-ordinated CIF Work Integrated Learning (WIL) Academic Program, a flagship program of advanced units with 800 students undertaking a WIL unit a year
I currently co-ordinate /lecture in the following Units:
- DXB201 Visual Interactions (1st Year)
- DXP402 Critical Practices in Visual Design (Master of Creative Industries)
- KKP601 PG Research Methods (specialist topic Participatory Design)
- Stoyanov S, Hides L, Kavanagh D, Zelenko O, Tjondronegoro D, Mani M, (2015) Mobile App Rating Scale: A new tool for assessing the quality of health mobile apps, JMIR mHealth and uHealth, 3 (1), pp. 1-9.
- Zelenko O, Cheers J, Stoyanov S, Dalgleish J, Sade G, Hides L, Mani M, Kavanagh D, (2019) niggle: A digital health and wellbeing app for young people . [Design/Architectural Work].
- Papinczak Z, Dingle G, Stoyanov S, Hides L, Zelenko O, (2015) Young people's uses of music for well-being, Journal of Youth Studies, 18 (9), pp. 1119-1134.
- Zelenko O, Stoyanov S, Kavanagh D, Hides L, Cockshaw W, Staneva A, Wilson H, Price M, McLisky K, Dalgleish J, (2015) Breakup Shakeup: A mobile app to help young people cope with stress after relationship breakup . [Design/Architectural Work].
- Zelenko O, Hides L, Kavanagh D, Stoyanov S, Dingle G, Cockshaw W, McLisky K, Tjondronegoro D, Koh D, Edge S, (2014) Music eScape . [Design/Architectural Work].
- Zelenko O, Hides L, Quek L, Stoyanov S, Kavanagh D, Tulloch K, Fairless J, Tulloch D, (2014) Ray's Night Out . [Design/Architectural Work].
- Pocuca N, Hides L, Zelenko O, Quek L, Stoyanov S, Tulloch K, Johnson D, Tjondronegoro D, Kavanagh D, (2016) Initial prototype testing of Ray's Night Out: A new mobile app targeting risky drinking in young people, Computers in Human Behavior, 54, pp. 207-214.
- Gebremariam K, Zelenko O, Mulugeta A, Gallegos D, (2018) Effectiveness of breastfeeding interventions delivered to fathers in low- and middle-income countries: A systematic review, Maternal and Child Nutrition, 14 (4), pp. 1-9.
- Zelenko O, Bridgstock R, (2014) Developing agency in the creative career: a design-based framework for work integrated learning. In G Hearn, J Rodgers, B Goldsmith & R Bridgstock, Creative work beyond the creative industries: innovation, employment and education, Edward Elgar Publishing, pp. 211-225.
- Hides L, Quinn C, Cockshaw W, Stoyanov S, Zelenko O, Johnson D, Tjondronegoro D, Quek L, Kavanagh D, (2018) Efficacy and outcomes of a mobile app targeting alcohol use in young people, Addictive Behaviors, 77, pp. 89-95.
Selected research projects
- Designing, Implementing and Evaluating a Youth Mobile Help-seeking Tool-kit
- Primary fund type
- CAT 1 - Australian Competitive Grant
- Project ID
- Start year
Projects listed above are funded by Australian Competitive Grants. Projects funded from other sources are not listed due to confidentiality agreements.