Dr Matthew Turnour
This person does not currently hold a position at QUT.
BiographyAs well as his role as a sessional lecturer and researcher with the Centre involved in the Model Nonprofit Laws Project, Matthew Turnour is the Chairman of Neumann & Turnour Lawyers, and heads the Corporate and Commercial Law Division of that practice.
In 2015 he was recognised with a Vice Chancellor’s Performance Award for Excellence in Teaching. His PhD entitled: Beyond Charity: Outlines of the Jurisprudence for Civil Society was recognised with an outstanding doctoral thesis award.
In 2017 he was the first person outside of the United States to be admitted to the International Honour Society Nu Lambda Mu by the Nonprofit Academic Centers Council.
Whilst he teaches ethics and governance, his PhD and publications span not-for-profit law, economics and other disciplines. His primary discipline is law and he has been a lawyer in private practice for over 30 years. He is a Queensland Law Society Senior Counsellor, and in 2016 that society conferred upon him an Outstanding Contribution Award. Dr Turnour’s research focuses on:
- the development of model non-profit laws; and,
- the development of a culturally-specific, optimum regulatory environment for civil society.
He has contributed to the development of law for civil society not only in Australia, but also in New Zealand, England and Wales, and the People’s Republic of China.
Accounting, Auditing and Accountability, Banking, Finance and Investment, Policy and Administration
Field of Research code, Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC), 2008
- PhD (Queensland University of Technology)
Professional memberships and associations
- Bachelor of Economics, University of Queensland, 1983.
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Queensland, 1985.
- Master of Arts by Research in Applied Ethics, QUT 2002.
- Doctor of Philosophy, QUT 2009. (Outstanding Doctoral Thesis 2010)
- Certificate of Admission as a Solicitor of the High Court of Australia, 1987.
- Certificate of Admission, Supreme Court of Queensland, 1987.
- Certificate, Legal Practice Management & Development, 1990.
- Commissioner for Declarations, No. 42933.
- Australian Institute of Company Directors, Diploma with Merit, Company Directors Course 2009.
- Fellow of the Australian Institute of Company Directors.
- Fellow Australian Institute of Management.
- Member Law Council of Australia General Practice Section (continuing) and Deputy Chair Charities and Not-for-profits Committee (2015 - 2017)
- Senior Counsellor and Member Law Society of Queensland and Chair of its Not for profit Law Subcommittee
- American Sociological Association including membership of the following chapters: Altruism, Morality and Social Solidarity, Sociology of Law and Sociology of Religion.
- Butterworths Lexis Nexis Prize for Advanced Legal Reasoning and Research 2003.
- Australian Institute of Company Directors Merit Award 2009.
- QUT Outstanding Doctoral Thesis Award 2010.
- Australian Institute of Management (Qld & NT) Finalist, Owner Manager of the year 2012.
- QUT Vice Chancellor’s Performance Award 2015 (Sessional Lecturing).
- Queensland Law Society President’s Medal 2016 Outstanding Contribution Award.
- Nonprofit Academic Centres Council, International Honors Society, Nu Lambda Mu. 2017
- Influencer of the Year 2018 Third Sector Australia Magazine
- Ethics for Philanthropic and Non-Profit Organisations (GSN483) in the Masters of Business (Nonprofit) through the Australian Centre of philanthropy and Nonprofit Studies; and,
- Governance (GSN471) in the Executive Masters of Business Administration degree through the Business School.
In 2015 he was recognised with a Vice Chancellor’s Performance Award for Excellence in Teaching.