Dr Kavoos Mohannak
Faculty of Business & Law,
School of Management
Dr Kavoos Mohannak is a Senior Lecturer and Subject Area Coordinator (SAC) in Management at Queensland University of Technology (QUT) Business School. He has over 20 years of teaching experience and has taught courses involving innovation management, entrepreneurship, business growth and technology commercialisation to students from different disciplines and majors.
Kavoos initially received a B.Sc. in Physics. After a few years of scientific research, he was trained in patent examination and intellectual property protection at the European Patent Office (EPO). He also worked as a patent examiner for several years. Kavoos then went to study his MA in International Relations at the International University of Japan (IUJ). His master research topic was “Technology Transfer in the Middle East: Towards a Strategy for Scientific and Technological Self Reliance”. This research was published in Japan as a book and was later translated into Persian. He has studied and worked as a researcher in Japan for seven years.
Kavoos further completed his PhD research in the area of innovation policy/system at Monash University in Melbourne, Australia. His PhD thesis entitled “Technological Innovation in Japan, South Korea and Australia: A Linkage Policy Model”. He then worked as a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the University of Wollongong for Asia-Pacific Social Transformation Studies (CAPSTRANS) for several years.
Kavoos has been actively working as an academic at QUT since 2003. He is a lecturer with passion, vision and strategy for teaching and research excellence, and industry collaboration. He has supervised and mentored many doctoral and master students to high levels of completion.
He continuously collaborates with national and international research partnerships with industry, government and other research centres. He has had the opportunity to work as a consultant in a number of international projects relating to innovation in various industries. This includes spending six months as a visiting academic at the Economic Research Centre, in Nagoya University in Japan.
Kavoos has published more than 50 publications that have appeared in international journals/conferences and scholarly books. His research interests are in the area of knowledge and innovation management ranging from theory to practice, with focus on developing and enhancing understandings of innovation systems and knowledge strategies particularly in technology SMEs. His previous research included analysis of various regional industry clusters, university-industry-government collaborations, technology transfer and research commercialisation. More recently, he has extensively published and researched on the role of organisational knowledge integration within innovation projects with particular emphasis on capability development and value creation.
- Senior Lecturer
Faculty of Business & Law,
School of Management
- Innovation, Knowledge and Creativity
- Entrepreneurship & Innovation
- Managing Operations
- Innovation Commercialisation strategies
- Managing Business Growth
- Javanmardi Kashan A, Mohannak K, (2019) Integrating the content and process of capability development: Lessons from theoretical and methodological developments, Journal of Management and Organization, 25 (5), pp. 748-763.
- Javanmardi Kashan A, Mohannak K, (2017) Dynamics of industry architecture and firms' knowledge and capability development: an empirical study of industry transformation, Technology Analysis and Strategic Management, 29 (7), pp. 687-700.
- Javanmardi Kashan A, Mohannak K, (2017) The role of knowledge integration in capability development and emergence of innovation ecosystem, International Journal of Innovation and Technology Management, 14 (5).
- Gbadegeshin S, Mohannak K, (2016) The present attitude of African youth towards entrepreneurship, International Journal of Small Business and Entrepreneurship Research, 4 (1), pp. 21-38.
- Mohannak K, Matthews J, (2015) Knowledge integration within innovation process: a technopreneurial perspective, International Journal of Technoentrepreneurship, 3 (1), pp. 17-36.
- Mohannak K, (2014) Challenges of knowledge integration in small and medium enterprises, Knowledge Management and E-Learning, 6 (1), pp. 66-82.
- Mohannak K, (2011) Knowledge integration within Japanese firms: The Fujitsu way, Journal of Knowledge Management Practice, 12 (2), pp. 1-15.
- Mohannak K, Matthews J, (2011) Managing specialised knowledge in technopreneurial firms: Evidence from Australian SMEs, Journal of Knowledge Management Practice, 12 (4), pp. 1-10.
- Hutchings K, Mohannak K, (2007) Knowledge management in developing economies : a cross-cultural and institutional approach, Edward Elgar.
- Mohannak K, (2007) Innovation Networks and Capability Building in the Australian High-Technology SMEs, European Journal of Innovation Management, 10 (2), pp. 236-251.
Completed supervisions (Doctorate)
- Strategic Capability Development: A multi-level case study of the role of knowledge integration within product innovation (2014)
- Individual agency as explanation of alliance development and change: A case study (2011)
- Information security management: A case study of an information security culture (2011)
- Technology Transfer Evaluation in the High Technology Industry: an Interdisciplinary Perspective (2010)