Dr Brodie Evans
Office of the Provost
BiographyDr Brodie Evans is a Visiting Fellow contributing to research in the QUT Centre's for Justice, Queensland University of Technology, Australia. Their research examines discourse, law and public policy, and political activism, in relation to issues of social and criminal justice. Brodie is particularly interested in how Foucault’s tools can be utilised to expand understandings of human-animal dynamics and governance, and the discursive strategies of resistance. Brodie has been published in the Journal of Critical Criminology, Journal of Sociology, and Journal of Agriculture and Human Values.
Brodie also works outside of the university as the Men's Program Coordinator for the Brisbane Domestic Violence Service, an activity of Micah Projects. This work involves the development and delivery of perpetrator intervention efforts underpinned by the Duluth model. Brodie currently manages a team of 6 group facilitators, supporting best practice in working alongside men to address their use of violence towards their intimate partners and improve the safety and access to justice for victim-survivors.
Brodie’s 10 years of teaching experience in areas of justice, politics, gender, and violence, enables them to continue building connections between their professional practice, teaching and research. As a teacher, Brodie has been nominated for a Vice-Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in 2016 and was awarded a Vice-Chancellor’s Performance Award in 2017.
Brodie has an ongoing role as a member of the QUT Ally Network and is a founding member of the QUT Pride Staff Network Committee. They have previously served as a Discrimination Contact Officer at QUT and on the Faculty of Law Equity Committee. In a volunteer capacity, Brodie also currently serves as the co-convenor of the Steering Committee for the Services and Practitioners for the Elimination of Abuse Queensland (SPEAQ), and on WorkUP QLD's Reference Group, and CQU's Domestic and Family Violence Course Reference Committee.
- QMomentum Visiting Fellow
Office of the Provost
- Doctor of Philosophy (Queensland University of Technology)
- Graduate Certificate in Business (Queensland University of Technology)
- Bachelor of Justice (Honours) (Queensland University of Technology)
- Bachelor of Arts (Griffith University)
Professional memberships and associations
- WorkUP Queensland - Reference Group
- Services and Practitioners for the Elimination of Abuse Qld (SPEAQ) Network - Steering Committee
- Family Law Pathways Network - Greater Brisbane
- Australasian Animal Studies Association
- Golden Key International Honour Society
- QUT Ally Network
- QUT Pride Staff Network
Teaching and Learning History
- JSB263 Justice Institutions (Lecturer and Unit Coordinator)
- JSB276 Independent Study (Unit Coordinator)
- JSQ203 Reducing Lethal Risk (Unit Coordinator)
- JSB286 Domestic Violence (Guest Lecturer)
- JSB171 Justice and Society (Head Tutor)
- 2017 Vice-Chancellor's Performance Award
- 2016 Vice-Chancellor's Awards for Excellence Nominee
- 2016 Sessional Teaching and Reflection Showcase (STARS) Finalist