Dr Amanda McFadden
This person does not currently hold a position at QUT.
BiographyAmanda is a lecturer in the School of Early Childhood. Amanda's key teaching and research areas include:
- the professional practice of early childhood teachers
- inclusive practices in the early years
- engaging with families and communities
- the experiences of preservice teachers
- transdisciplinary research
Amanda has 20 years experience working predominantly in the prior to school sector in a range of early childhood contexts including long day care, family day care, and kindergarten programs.
Amanda's doctoral research focused on the experiences of teachers working with children with a disability in the early years of school. This research contributed to deeper understandings of inclusive practices and the levels of support needed for classroom teachers in the early years of schooling.
early childhood education, child care, inclusive practice, early years of schooling, professional practice of educators
Education Systems, Specialist Studies in Education
Field of Research code, Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC), 2008
- Doctor of Philosophy (Queensland University of Technology)
- Graduate Diploma in Education (Early Years) (Queensland University of Technology)
Professional memberships and associations
- Board of Director - Lady Gowrie Qld
- Growth and Innovation Sub-committee member Lady Gowrie QLD
- Early Childhood Australia Early Childhood Intervention Australia
- Early Childhood Australia Qld Branch Associate Executive Member
- Early Career Educators Engaging Educators (Sub-committee of Early Childhood Australia QLD)
- QUT Early Childhood Alumni Committee member
Other units Amanda has taught in include the following:
- EAB005 - Inclusion in Early Childhood
- EAB511 - Early Childhood Contemporary and Comparative Perspectives
- EAB513 - Partnerships with Families and Communities
- EDB013 - Early Childhood Field Studies 3: Inclusion and Diversity
- EDB174 - Stepping Out/ Making Connections
- EDB175 - Internship
- Miller M, McFadden A, Heirdsfield A, (2016) Preparing culturally and linguistically diverse preservice Early Childhood teachers for field experience, Student Success, 7 (2), pp. 33-42.
- McFadden A, Smeaton K, (2016) Amplifying student learning through volunteering: The experiences of students volunteering in a community literature festival, Proceedings of the 2016 Students, Transitions, Achievement, Retention and Success (STARS) Conference, pp. 1-10.
- Whiteford C, McFadden A, (2015) Educators of change, The Spoke: Early Childhood Australia's Blog.
- McFadden A, Whiteford C, (2015) Infant education and care: Why is education often overlooked?.
- Nguyen T, McFadden A, Tangen D, Beutel D, (2013) Video-stimulated recall interviews in qualitative research, Proceedings of the 2013 International Conference of the Australian Association for Research in Education (AARE), pp. 1-10.