Over the years, QUT has grown and changed. From the establishment of the Brisbane School of Arts over 150 years ago, we have been at the forefront of innovation and progress in tertiary education. Although the name QUT has only been used for the last 21 years, the institutions that came before us made us the university that we are today.
1989 - Queensland University of Technology
The Queensland University of Technology Act was passed in 1988, following approval of University status for the Queensland Institute of Technology. Queensland University of Technology (QUT) began operating in January 1989.
More than 20 years later, we have more than 40,000 students, over 400 courses and extensive, dedicated research programs. We've become the university for the real world.
1982 - Brisbane College of Advanced Education
In 1981, the Commonwealth Government decided to amalgamate four Brisbane teaching colleges to form the new Brisbane College of Advanced Education.
By 1986, courses included teacher education, business, creative and performing arts, and early childhood studies. Schools of health and welfare studies, and physical education and leisure studies were also established.
A masters degree in education was first offered in 1990.
Student enrolments grew to 10,155 in 1989, and, in 1990, Brisbane College of Advanced Education joined with QUT.
1976 - Kelvin Grove College of Advanced Education
By 1980, Kelvin Grove College of Advanced Education had diversified into dance, theatre, residential care and visual arts, applied science (home economics) and counselling.
In 1978, Kelvin Grove College of Advanced Education held seminars in ceramics and painting in remote areas throughout Queensland, using light aircraft and buses to transport artists, tutors and materials between towns.
Kelvin Grove College of Advanced Education merged with three other teaching colleges in 1982 to form the Brisbane College of Advanced Education.
1974 - North Brisbane College of Advanced Education
North Brisbane College of Advanced Education extended their courses on offer to include business studies, community studies and liberal studies.
In 1982, North Brisbane College of Advanced Education merged with three other teaching colleges to form the Brisbane College of Advanced Education.
1965 - Queensland Institute of Technology
The Queensland Institute of Technology (QIT) was established at Gardens Point, next to Brisbane's CBD. From 1966, QIT consisted of six departments:
- general studies
- business studies
In 1965, QIT had only 4,634 students, which grew to 7,665 by 1981. The percentage of those studying full time had risen and the number of female students had more than trebled.
Demand for courses at QIT continued to grow during the 1980s, and QIT became the Queensland University of Technology.
1965 - Brisbane Kindergarten Teachers College
Brisbane Kindergarten Teachers College played a large role in research in early years education. In 1972, a demonstration kindergarten - equipped with the latest observation technology - was built at the College.
By 1973, the College population reached the record figure of 392 students, with 200 students entering the first year of the diploma course. Brisbane Kindergarten Teachers College was the first preschool college in Australia to accept male students.
In 1982, Brisbane Kindergarten Teachers College merged with three other teaching colleges to form the Brisbane College of Advanced Education.
1961 - Kedron Park Teachers College
Kedron Park Teachers College opened with 192 students. It began with a two year primary teaching program, but soon offered three year teacher training.
In 1974, Kedron Park Teachers College became known as North Brisbane College of Advanced Education.
1961 - Kelvin Grove Teachers College
Kelvin Grove Teachers College offered courses in both primary and secondary teaching.
New government policy in tertiary education led to the establishment of a College Council in 1972, and Kelvin Grove Teachers College became the Kelvin Grove College of Advanced Education from 1976.
1914 - Queensland Teachers Training College
In 1914, the Queensland Teachers Training College had 25 students.
When the College moved to Kelvin Grove in February 1942, there were 676 students, mostly enrolled in the primary teaching course. The student population included 72 mature students recruited to meet the shortages of teachers during the war.
In 1944, Queensland Teachers Training College became the Senior Teachers Training College. It was again renamed in 1950 as the Queensland Teachers College. In 1961, it became the Kelvin Grove Teachers College.
1911 - Brisbane Kindergarten Training College
The Brisbane Kindergarten Training College was established in 1911, with an initial enrolment of five students.
By 1929, Brisbane Kindergarten Training College offered two separate courses, and by the end of the 1930s, student numbers increased to around 25.
The College introduced a three-year course in 1946, and the number of students steadily increased. Brisbane Kindergarten Training College was renamed as the Brisbane Kindergarten Teachers College in 1965.
1908 - Central Technical College
Central Technical College became a key institution for apprenticeship training, and vocational training for both men and women. Courses offered included mathematics, literature, healthcare, and industrial electronics.
After World War II, the College expanded to a site in South Brisbane. By the early 1960s, Central Technical College had more than 13,000 students and had further expanded its courses.
Eventually, the professional and technical courses offered at Central Technical College moved to the Queensland Institute of Technology.
1882 - Brisbane Technical College
Initially, only 80 students attended the Brisbane Technical College. After the economic depression of the early 1890s, enrolments rose to more than 1,000 students in 1897.
Brisbane Technical College was the largest institution in Queensland in the 19th century.
In 1908, the Queensland Parliament passed the Technical Instruction Act, and Brisbane Technical College became the Central Technical College.
1849 - Brisbane School of the Arts
The Brisbane School of the Arts began as a place of recreation, with a library, public debates and lectures.
Eventually, the school developed a stronger educational focus, offering two drawing classes in 1881.
In 1882, the Brisbane School of the Arts became the Brisbane Technical College.
Kyle, N. et al, A Class of Its Own: A History of Queensland University of Technology, Hale & Iremonger Pty Ltd, NSW, 1999