In primary schools, arts teachers usually don't have the same opportunities as generalist teachers to meet with like-minded colleagues who share the same area of expertise. This highlights the need for arts teachers to be able to develop professional networks through which they can share resources and ideas, and collaboratively plan wonderful age-appropriate learning experiences for their students.
Arts Boot Camp is a two-day professional learning event for primary school arts teachers to be held at QUT. QUT arts educators from the areas of Education and Creative Industries will combine their expertise to contribute professional learning ideas and teaching strategies for participants while also facilitating two days of collaborative planning through the development of professional networks for primary school arts teachers.
At the end of the Arts Boot Camp, teachers will take away collaboratively designed units of work for year levels of their choice and a collection of supporting resources. For this event, the focus will be on planning and developing professional arts educator networks which can continue beyond the duration of the Arts Boot Camp.
Evolve with QUTeX
- Introduction to Arts Boot Camp: background, purpose, one activity with entire group – led by QUT staff
- Participants join groups to focus on one arts subject (dance, drama, media arts, music or visual art)
- Participants engage in a practical group activity based on the focus arts subject
- Introduction to planning in focus arts subject using the Australian Curriculum – The Arts F-6 by QUT staff
- Participants collaboratively design units of learning for focus arts subject in smaller groups for each band level, facilitated by QUT staff from Education and Creative Industries (supported by teachers as required)
- Participants develop, source and share appropriate resources to support learning design
- Participants engage in formal and informal professional discussions regarding teaching practice and experiences
- Participants report summary of work completed during Arts Boot Camp
- QUT staff compile contact details for teachers wanting to maintain engagement with professional networks
Who should participate?
Primary school arts teachers who wish to expand their knowledge of arts subjects and curricula, and develop practical programs for their students.
Professional learning hours
Participants in the Arts Boot Camp will receive a certificate indicating the professional learning hours involved and the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers which have been addressed. This professional learning experience can be used to contribute to teachers' CPD records as part of their annual requirements for registered teachers.