Skip to content

Cross-institutional study

If you're enrolled in a course at another university but want to study a QUT unit for advanced standing towards your course, you can apply as a cross-institutional student.

Who can apply?

You can apply for cross-institutional study if you are enrolled in a course at another Australian university.

What can I study?

You can search for specific units, or browse units in the study areas you're interested in. You can apply for up to four units at a time.

Find units to study

To study some units you need to have completed particular subjects as prerequisites, or have a certain level of background knowledge (which we call 'assumed knowledge'). Check the previous study requirements for the units you're interested in. If you have any questions, contact the unit coordinator for the semester you want to study.

Certain units, such as education practicums, are not open to non-QUT students. Check the unit you're interested in to find out whether you can apply for cross-insitutional study.

How much will it cost?

Your fees will depend on:

  • which units you enrol in
  • whether you're a Commonwealth supported student, a domestic fee-paying student or an international student at your university.

I'm a Commonwealth supported student

Check the student contribution amount in your unit information.

You may be eligible for a HECS-HELP loan to help you pay your fees. If your application is accepted, you'll need to complete a HECS-HELP form before you can enrol in your units.

Government loans

I'm a domestic fee-paying student

Check the domestic fee-paying student fee in your unit information.

You may be eligible for a FEE-HELP loan to help pay your tuition fees. If your application is accepted, you'll need to complete a FEE-HELP form before you can enrol in your units.

Government loans

I'm an international student

Check the international student fee in your unit information.

When to apply

The deadlines for applying depend on when you plan to start studying.

Check our key dates for applying for cross-institutional study

How to apply

Check the units you're interested in to see whether you can apply for cross-institutional study. If the unit is open to applications for cross-institutional study, you'll need to get approval from your university and then apply to QUT.

Get approval from your university

Before you apply, you need approval from your university (we call this your 'home institution'). This will ensure that you get advanced standing for your QUT studies towards your course.

You'll need an authorised officer at your home institution to complete the home institution approval form (PDF file, 122.6 KB).

This form includes your enrolment details and the type of fee you pay at your university, and confirms you'll receive advanced standing for your QUT study.

Submit your application to QUT

When you have home institution approval from your university, complete and submit a cross-institutional enrolment application form.

Cross-institutional enrolment application form

Supporting documents

If the units you want to study require particular prerequisites or background knowledge, you'll need to supply documents that demonstrate that you meet the requirements, for example academic transcripts or proof of work experience.

You'll need to upload scanned copies of the documents and submit them with your application. They don't need to be certified copies.

What happens next?

We'll email you to let you know we've received your application.

It usually takes us about three weeks to process applications.

We can only process your application if it's complete, including any required supporting documents. If you submit an incomplete application and don't supply the rest of the required information within five working days, we'll refuse your application.

After we've processed your application, we'll email you to let you know whether it's approved. If it is, the email will also let you know what you need to do to get started at QUT.

Get in touch

Australian and NZ students

3138 2000

Do you have a question about one of our courses? Ask QUT Chatbot now

International students

1800 181 848
(within Australia)

+61 3 9627 4853
(outside Australia)

Enquire online