We offer Queensland's only university course in radiation therapy, and we were the first provider of a medical imaging degree in the state.
Why study medical radiation sciences at QUT?
- Access to modern laboratories, virtual simulation technology and specialist equipment.
- Learn from registered radiographers who have extensive industry experience.
- Gain experience through placements in varied hospital and clinical departments.
- Advance your career with postgraduate studies in ultrasound and research.
Short courses and professional development
Your learning experience
Our on-campus simulation facilities incorporate virtual and hands-on equipment to offer you a learning experience that is only available at QUT. Students build confidence and gain experience in fundamental skills using specialist equipment that includes:
- Virtual Environment for Radiotherapy Training (VERT)
- digital radiography systems
- general x-ray
- mobile x-ray
You will also develop competency in computer systems and software that are currently used by industry for treatment planning and laser positioning.
Graduate job ready
Our courses are designed in consultation with clinical staff from medical imaging and radiation oncology departments, and are taught by registered professionals. We incorporate technology into our teaching practices to offer you the opportunity to learn in simulated clinical environments and practise relevant skills before treating real patients.
Medical imaging placements are offered across public and private hospitals, and a range of imaging facilities. Hospital placement includes shifts in departments such as theatre, emergency and intensive care. These varying environments offer an opportunity to treat patients with different cases and from many cultural backgrounds.
Radiation therapy placements are also offered in public and private hospitals, and medical facilities in metro and regional areas throughout Queensland. You also have the option of completing your placement interstate.
We offer you the opportunity to follow an honours pathway, which allows you to complete a major project that develops advanced analytical and applied research skills. It extends your knowledge of the professional field, offering an edge in your chosen career.
In this program you will engage with our research partners and facilities, and are able to explore a career in research. We are a research-intensive university in selected areas of strength and priority. Our health partners include:
- Herston Imaging Research Facility
- Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation
- Translational Research Institute
- Medical Engineering Research Facility
- Centre for Children's Health Research.
Get just the information you want on courses, scholarships and events.
- Phone: 3138 1938
- Int. phone: +61 7 3138 1938