Be part of our internationally renowned School of Design.
Why study interactive and visual design at QUT?
- Study digital and graphic design, advertising, web design, interface design, usability and information architecture.
- Gain practical skills in designing for new media technologies and digital screen displays.
- Create a portfolio and exhibit design works to industry professionals.
- Bachelor of Creative Industries
- Bachelor of Design (Interaction Design)
- Bachelor of Design (Visual Communication)
- Bachelor of Design - International (Interaction Design)
- Bachelor of Design - International (Visual Communication)
- Bachelor of Games and Interactive Environments
- Bachelor of Games and Interactive Environments (Animation)
- Bachelor of Games and Interactive Environments (Game Design)
- Bachelor of Games and Interactive Environments (Software Technologies)
- Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of Creative Industries
- Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of Design (Interaction Design)
- Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of Design (Visual Communication)
- Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of Games and Interactive Environments
- Bachelor of Creative Industries/Bachelor of Human Services
- Bachelor of Creative Industries/Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Creative Industries/Bachelor of Laws (Honours)
- Bachelor of Design (Interaction Design)/Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Design (Interaction Design)/Bachelor of Information Technology
Short courses and professional development
Our interactive and visual design courses focus on experimentation, creativity, imagination and thinking innovatively about design. You'll create real-world projects in a studio setting, both individually and in collaboration with other students, to develop interdisciplinary team projects.
Lead projects from their conceptual stages to production and publication. You'll design for electronic media, web technologies, games and physical computing, for personal and mobile platforms and for public installations, such as The Cube - QUT's state-of-the-art public digital interactive learning and display space.
You'll have opportunities to undertake industry placements with leading national and international design firms. In your final year, you'll have the opportunity to create and exhibit a major design work at your graduate exhibition.
Work with like-minded creatives
Our courses have an interdisciplinary focus that embraces contemporary design practice and offers a unique combination of traditional design skills and new technologies. You'll participate in research groups in the areas of urban informatics, transmedia, game design, interactive environments, electronic arts and creative media.
Our courses prepare you to work as a visual communication designer across traditional and new interactive media forms in a wide range of practice, from creative advertising to interaction design.
We promote an industry-focused combination of creativity, communication, technology and business enterprise. You'll combine strong visual communication skills with a detailed understanding of interactivity as a design resource. Our courses are designed to give you the skills and knowledge you need to become a creative and innovative designer.
Your studies will be supported by new digital technologies, well-equipped workshops and design studios, while our design fabrication labs provide a space for hands-on design prototyping.
Our Creative Industries Precinct offers some of Australia's most sophisticated digital facilities to provide a world-class space to showcase your designs. Here, you can also collaborate with like-minded creative students from other disciplines.
Diversify your study
In our Bachelor of Design (Interaction Design) or Bachelor of Design (Visual Communication), you can diversify your study with a second design major, giving you further career options. Our Work Integrated Learning program also allows you to combine professional workplace practice with academic learning.
Learn from the best
You'll learn from a teaching team who are nationally and internationally recognised for their research, as well as their design and creative works.
You'll also collaborate with the professional design community through public lectures, student-run exhibitions, and off-campus and international study tours to European design capitals, including Italy, Switzerland, Germany and France.
Our graduates are in high demand and work in a range of creative and commercial industries, including:
- computer games
- film and TV production
- cultural institutions.
They work as:
- visual, web and interactive media designers
- design or brand strategists
- visual systems and experience designers
- creative directors
- user researchers
- interface designers
- usability specialists
- information architects
- communication and graphic designers
- information and interaction designers.
You can get further expertise through postgraduate study, which can lead to senior roles in practice or to an academic career.
Get just the information you want on courses, scholarships and events.
Creative Industries Faculty
- Phone: 3138 8114
- Fax: 3138 8116
- Postal address:
QUT Creative Industries Faculty
Kelvin Grove QLD 4059